Actions and Detail Panel
Thermal Envelope - Air Sealing and Insulation Principles
Mon, October 17, 2016, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM CDT
This class is one of many in a special training series on the 2013 Kentucky Residential Code called "Energy Conservation Construction Principles." These classes will help attendees better understanding the principles behind code requirements and how to quickly and efficiently apply these code-compliant techniques to their current construction practices. Instruction will be provided by specialists from the Southface Energy Institute. Code officials, home builders, subcontractors, construction professionals, and other interested individuals are encouraged to attend. All classes cost $25.
This particular course will focus on important components of the 2013 Kentucky Residential Code as it relates to thermal envelope requirements, looking specifically at air sealing and insulation installation. Upon completion of the one-day course, trainees will be able to:
- Define the building envelope and identify the qualities of effective and ineffective building envelopes in homes
- Summarize the fundamental properties of air movement and describe the importance of air sealing to effective home performance
- Compare infiltration and controlled ventilation and identify the benefits of controlled ventilation for home performance
- Identify the code requirements for air sealing and identify accepted methods to verify air sealing for code compliance
- Discuss methods commonly used to perform air sealing in homes
- Explain the relationship between air sealing and insulation
- Define the methods of heat transfer
- Identify code requirements for insulation installation and describe the importance of insulation for home performance
- Summarize common methods and materials used to insulate new and existing homes
- Employ industry-established inspection methods for determining the effectiveness of insulation installation
If you are unable to make payment through this online system, please contact George Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange payment and registration.