Opening reception for Penn State Great Valley's latest art exhibit featuring paintings by 33 members of the Studio Group.
In 1883, Howard Pyle, one of the most popular illustrators in the United States, built a studio for his use on North Franklin Street, Wilmington, DE. In 1900 he opened the Howard Pyle School of Art, adding three studios for his students’ use. Among the many students who thrived under his teaching were Harvey Dunn, Frank Schoonover, Jessie Wilcox Smith and N.C. Wyeth. So influential was Howard Pyle on his students and their descendants that he came to be known as “The Father of the Brandywine Tradition.”
Since 1938, members of The Studio Group, Inc., a non-profit group of 33 artists, have met and painted in these historic studios. They are among the oldest continually used art studios in the country. The Studio Group, Inc. owns and maintains the Howard Pyle Studio buildings and grounds. They are in the National Register of Historic Places.