The Salvation Army Collaborative Disaster Services Training ( SOLD OUT)

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time



The Salvation Army, Camp Del Oro Conference Center

20864 Rector Road

Nevada City, CA 95959

View Map

Event description



We are excited to host our annual disaster volunteer training. This year we are opening up registration to all new interested volunteers, our current and prospective community partners, as well as any current disaster volunteers. Our goal is for participants to walk away Saturday afternoon with a better understanding of The Salvation Armys, hands-on experience, new skills, stronger relationships with partner organizations, a sense of comradery with fellow volunteers and partners, and nationally recognized certifications.


Canteen Operations:

Learn the ins and outs of a Canteen and how we conduct feeding operations. This course will be 50% classroom/learning to serve, 50% hands-on cooking outside. Each session will require cooking or serving of a full meal. The best hands on training you will ever get before a disaster!

CPR/First Aid:

Become CPR/First Aid certified. This hands-on training prepares you to provide CPR during breathing and cardiac emergencies in everyday life. It also teaches the skills and knowledge needed to provide First Aid care during emergencies. This certification is good for 2 years. This is a 5 hour course. You will need to choose this course for both Morning Session and Afternoon Session. Partial Session will not be eligible for Certification Card.

Essentials to Emotional and Spiritual Care:

Learn the skills needed to engage with and comfort survivors during the worst day of their lives. You will learn what to say and what not to say, how to identify and assess survivors needs, and engage with survivors in the most appropriate way that may set them at ease and on the path to recovery.

Recovery/Local Assistance Center:

Learn the services of The Salvation Army following a disaster. This course will teach you all about the immediate services that can be provided for clients following the response efforts of the disaster. You can learn how we as a community come together in a Local Assistance Center to help clients begin the process of recovery. Come learn what recovery services you can be a big part of for our next incident and how to provide those services.

Red Cross Shelter 101:

In this course you will not learn how to set up a shelter, but you will learn how to work with Red Cross Shelter Managers, the rules and etiquette of the shelter, which areas are accessible and inaccessible, who to ask for when entering a Red Cross Shelter, and much more. This is a course targeting organizations outside of the American Red Cross.

Intro to Incident Command System (ICS) and Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Liaison:

Learn about structure The Salvation Army uses to manage responses. It is a little different than traditional ICS. 25% of this course is dedicated to Salvation Army ICS, the other 75% will focus on how to be the most effective Salvation Army Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Liaison. You will learn how to conduct yourself in the EOC, the lingo used, and how to be a proactive member and improve The Salvation Army’s response in the community. This position will teach you how to be an effective Government Liaison.


12:30pm-2pm: Registration

2:00pm-5:00pm ServSafe Food Handlers Course

5:00pm-6:15pm: Canteen Truck show

5:00pm-6:15pm: Dinner

6:30pm-8:00pm Group Session 1

8:00pm-10:00pm: Late night Snack and Activity

Friday, March 6th

8:00am-9:00am-Breakfast (Hosted by Camp)

9:15am-11:45am-Traning Courses 1

12:00pm-1:15pm Lunch

1:30pm-4:00pm-Traning Courses 2

4:00pm-5:00pm Protecting the Missions Training


6:45pm-8:00pm Group Session 2

8:00pm-10:00pm: Late night Snack and Activity

Saturday, March 7th

8:00am-9:00am Breakfast

9:15am- 11:30am Group Session 3: Tabletops Exercise

12:00pm-1:00pm Lunch

1:15pm-2:30pm Closing Ceremony

2:30pm Depart Home


How can I contact the organizer with any questions?

You may contact Amy Mefford @ regarding any questions you have.

Can I update my registration information?

Yes, please email with your registration updates.

Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?

Yes, volunteers must be over the age of 18.

What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?

Transportation to and from camp is the participant’s responsibility. Car pool is encouraged. Parking will be available at Camp. Please note GPS signal can be spotty in the mountains. Directions will be provided to you in an email confirmation.

Share with friends

Date and Time


The Salvation Army, Camp Del Oro Conference Center

20864 Rector Road

Nevada City, CA 95959

View Map

Save This Event

Event Saved