About the author: Susan Suleiman was born in Budapest and emigrated with her parents to the United States as a child. She received a Ph.d from Harvard and is currently the C. Douglas Dillon Professor of the Civilization of France and Research Professor of Comparative Literature.
She is the author of numerous books on contemporary literature & culture. Her latest book, 'The Nemirovsky Question' , (Yale University Press), is the outgrowth of her interest in the book 'La Suite Francaise' which describes the tragic life of Irene Nemerovsky, a brillant novelist & secular Jew. Nemerovsky'd books were very popular in 1930s Paris. However, she was eventually déportéd to Auschwitz, her life cut short. Her surviving daughters brought her back to life with publication of La Suite Francaise, which won the French Renaudot Prize and became an international best seller.
'The Nemirovsky Question' is about the Russian French novelist and the questions of 'foreigners' in 20th century Francaise, so relevant today.
This event will be in English.
AFDC Member & Culture Pass holders - Event Only: $10
General Admission - Event Only: $15
AFDC Member & Culture Pass holders - Event & Reception : $20
General Admission - Event& Reception : $25
Culture & Events policies:
- The member discount is applicable for one ticket per member.
- Guests must pay the non-member price.
- Refunds will be issued when Alliance française cancels an event, or upon a 24-hour request for refund with or without cause sent via email to cultureaf(at)francedc.org by an attendee. No other refunds will be given.
- The cultural department highly recommends advanced registration (online, by phone, or in person), as events sell out quickly.
- If tickets are available, the AFDC can accept payment at the door by credit card, check, or cash (exact change only). The AFDC cannot make change at the door. The AFDC reserves the right to refuse entry to sold out events.