San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Tickets are also available the day of each event at the door.
Part I: Windows 101: Good Foundations
Thursday, March 21 from 6:30PM - 8:00PM
- How to calculate what windows are worth and remind yourself why they’re so important .
- Planning and scheduling 12 months of knock out window displays
- Budgeting your time and money; how often, how much?
- Creating your set: tools and infrastructure you have to have in order to make your life easier and your windows better.
- Risers, built-ins, tables – how does your window “stack up?"
- Not your average “dummy” – why everyone should have a mannequin.
- Ideas to get you started for Spring windows.
Own your windows, don’t let them own you. Get a handle on your marketing budget by learning where to make smart investments in props, lights and other critical components and where not to. Bring along photos of your storefront and windows to do some real time assessment and planning. Make progress each month as you follow up on homework geared to help you get the most out of this class and your windows.
Part II: Lighting: Getting out of the Dark Ages
Thursday, May 16 from 6:30PM - 8:00PM
- Lighting do’s and don’ts.
- What types of lights to use & where to put them.
- Find out current costs and local resources for lighting your windows.
- The best and the worst light bulbs you can use (EVER!).
- How to integrate light fixtures as effective props.
- Hear how a local retailer got ETO rebates for upgrading her specialty lighting.
- Ideas to get you started for Summer window.
You might have the best theme, cleverest props, or cutest EVER arrangement but if customers can’t see it NONE of it matters. Money and time down the drain. Avoid rookie and costly mistakes by learning how many lights you should really have, where to put them, and what type of light bulbs to use (and especially which ones to NEVER use!) See first-hand what your current LED choices are and how they compare to halogens or incandescents. You’ll also be one of first to hear about a local retailer that got over $1,000 back in Energy Trust Credits when she upgraded her retail (yes – specialty retail) lighting. Take THAT to the bank!
Part III: Planning & Staging: The Pleasure and the Pane
Thursday, July 11 from 6:30PM - 8:00PM
- How to talk color like it’s your BFF – because it is.
- Developing strong themes and buying, creating or borrowing good props
- Props to product ratios; How much is enough or too much?
- Staging, styling, stacking, filling, draping, and more – what to do when
- 2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate? 3’s & 5’s of course!
- Ideas to get you started for holiday windows
The funnest part of doing your own windows - getting to put your creativity on stage. Bring on the color and bring on the show. We’ll talk about designing, staging, styling and color coordinating your windows. We’ll explore props to product ratios (thank goodness it’s not calculus), what scale is best for YOUR windows, and dig deep into designing on a dime, dumpster diving, repurposing or whatever you want to call being thrifty and clever with our windows and our budgets.
Part IV: Layering, Signage & Sales: Through the Looking Glass
Thursday, October 10 from 6:30PM - 8:00PM
- Where and how to place signage and graphics - Using your glass for more than just looking through
- The latest in window film technology to reduce fading, keep your store cool and still be almost as clear as glass alone
- Backdrops - learn how to add color, texture and patterns without adding clutter
- 5 things you should NEVER put on or in your windows
- Not your average SALE windows; putting a ban on SALE banner.
- Before and after and best of’s for workshop participants
- Ideas for winter windows.
- Planning ahead for the next 12 months and Spring again!
Now that you’ve set yourself up for success and know how to squeeze attention out of every inch of that million dollar window, we’ll look at framing your sets with signage and backdrops. Where and how to outline or introduce your brands graphics, logos and textures to compliment vs clutter your windows. Everyone has a sale at some point too so we’ll also look at all manner of effective SALE windows that don’t involve a pre-made banner.
Portland Store Fixtures
110 SE Main Street
Portland Store Fixtures & Frontdoor Back
Portland Store Fixtures began in 1998 with a tiny budget, two determined ladies, and a vision of creating a business that was both economically and environmentally sustainable. Now, we support twelve employees, own two of the three buildings we occupy, and have become a place for small retailers to get advice and support, as well as buy, sell, and rent new, used, and custom store fixtures. We stock practically everything you need to run a store, with the exception of employees - we like ours and you can't have them.
Frontdoor Back began in 2009 with just as small a budget and only one determined lady that doubled down on her vision to create a company that solved critical design and presentation challenges every independent store faces. From her humble beginnings cleaning out dead flies from her customer’s window displays (yes – she’s been there with you) to now criss-crossing the country speaking and teaching store owners how to “own” their space, she delights in coming up with creative solutions to everyday problems that will have your customers shopping your store from the front door all the way to the back.