The Culture of Obesity:
A 21st Century Approach to Raising Healthy Children
October 13, 2016
8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Suanne Kowal-Connelly, MD
LIU POST COLLEGE Hillwood Commons 720 Northern Blvd Brookville, NY
(* full breakfast/brunch included)
Presented by School Leaders for Change and LIU POST COLLEGE
Participants: Building and District Leaders are encouraged to bring a team of teachers, particularly those responsible for providing health and wellness education to children grades k-12: Athletic Directors, Physical Educators, Health Educators, Special Educators, Psychologists, School Counselors and Social Workers are important members of this team.
This conference will explore how to:
- o undo the culture of " children unwellness" that has appeared in our schools
- o tap into the competitive advantage of wellness (for students and staff alike)
- o understand the individual, organizational and community responsibility of creating a school culture of wellness
- o identify steps to improve health status and its impact on the academic performance and social-emotional wellness of our students
- o unpack the NYS standards for Health, Physical Education and Consumer Science : http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sss/schoolhealth/schoolhealtheducation/healthPEFACSLearningStandards.pdf
In addition to a keynote presentation, the conference model also includes breakout sessions addressing topics related to obesity and the wellness of children/students.