The Case for Business Innovation and Value for the Financial Industry through High Performance Computing
The Irish Centre for High End Computing (ICHEC, www.ichec.ie) is hosting a special breakfast briefing for the Irish Financial Services community introducing how business innovation can be achieved through the use of High Performance Computing (HPC).
HPC brings value to companies by:
- Reducing risk (by knowing more, by providing more detail, by dealing with larger amounts of data)
- Get answers faster (this can be reducing cost or dealing faster with market uncertainties)
- Better utilisation of existing IT infrastructures (leveraging existing hardware resources more efficiently and more effectively to tackle problems)
From front to back-office, from portfolio construction to trade execution, from data capture to quarterly reports - there are business processes that are inherently parallel and amenable to high performance computing. Finance like other industries is increasingly concerned about transfer data into information, information into action, and action into profit. There are two forces acting upon the financial industry, firstly the need to reduce the time to get things done and secondly the need to expand the amount of work done in that time. Beyond ROI and IT architecture lies the uncertainty of markets, this seminar will introduce high performance computing as one tool in your arsenal for tackling uncertainty by highlighting where and how HPC has already done so for competitors in the field.
The event will begin at 08:00 and will consist of three speakers:
- 08:00 Introduction / Welcome, Dr. Eoin Brazil, Technology Transfer Lead, Irish Centre for High End Computing - http://ichec.ie/consultancy/
- 08:05 High Performance Computing for Business, Francis Wray, HPC consultant - http://www.large.demon.co.uk/
- 08:40 Graphics processing units (GPUs) for Financial Problems - Alastair Houston, Compute FSI Sales Manager at NVIDIA, http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/cuda_finance_uk.html
- 09:15 Wrap up and Q&A
The aim of this breakfast briefing will be to highlight the potential benefits for high performance computing to the Irish Financial industry as one means of achieving business innovation.
For further details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
When & Where
Irish Centre for High End Computing (ICHEC)
The Irish Centre for High-End Computing (ICHEC) is the national facility for the provision of high-end compute resources to the research and business communities in Ireland. ICHEC's mission is to make state-of-the-art HPC resources, both hardware and human, available to Irish researchers and companies. ICHEC aims to enable the research community to perform cutting-edge, internationally competitive research, and to engage in technology transfer and innovation to industry.