For more information about the ARK-J Program Certification Course and a detailed course outline, visit: www.ARKJProgram.com.
Earn 1.4 ASHA CEUs by skillfully learning how to:
1. Identify patients who are at-risk for trismus.
2. Evaluate patients who are suspected of having trismus with standardized assessment tools.
3. Justify skilled treatment for insurance purposes.
4. Differentiate between the treatment pathways of radiation-related trismus and trauma-related trismus.
5. Define normal (WFL), mild, moderate, and severe trismus in terms of maximal jaw opening measurement.
6. Measure maximal jaw opening correctly for purposes of assessment, treatment session baselines, and evaluating progress and effectiveness of treatment.
7. Educate patient on various trismus devices available on the market based on patient’s needs and financial abilities.
8. Design progressive, therapeutic passive jaw and active jaw stretching programs based on individual patient needs.
9. Implement specific therapy strategies to increase patient motivation, independence, and progress.
10. Design home maintenance programs for patients who have reached independence and treatment goals.
Brian Kanapkey, M.A., CCC-SLP
Megan Nosol, M.S., M.S.Ed., CCC-SLP
Expert Guest Speakers:
Samip Patel, MD (Otolaryngologist, H&N Surgeon at UNC Hospital)
Bisham Chera, MD (Radiation Oncologist at UNC Hospital)
Shaun Matthews, MD (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon at UNC Hospital)
Valerie Collins, PT, CLT-LANA (Physical Therapist at UNC Hospital Rehabilitation and Therapy Department)
Sherin Joseph, DPT, CLT-LANA (Physical Therapist at UNC Hospital Rehabilitation and Therapy Department)
Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
What is included in course registration?
ARK-J Pocket Measuring Tape and Therapy Bag
Homemade ARK-J Stretching Device, template, and training on how to make the device yourself for patients
Hands-on trismus evaluation experience
Hands-on trismus treatment experience
Presentations from trismus experts in the field of otolaryngology/head and neck surgery, radiation oncology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, and physical therapy
Recommendations for treatment justification and insurance purposes
Opportunities to explore, learn, and experiment with popular jaw mobilizing devices
ARK-J Program Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment Manual
What are my hotel options for the event?
There are several hotels in walking distance from the UNC Friday Center. A list of nearby accomodations will be posted to the course website at www.ARKJProgram.com.
What airport should I fly into for the course?
Raleigh-Durham Interntional Airport (RDU) is the closest airport to the course location.
What are my parking options during the event?
The Friday Center has free parking.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Complete the "Contact Me" form under the "Contact" tab on the course website, www.ARKJProgram.com, and we will respond within 24-48 hours.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Yes, bring printed ticket to the event as well as photo identification (and student ID if you are a SLP graduate student).
What is the refund policy?
15 days or more before course date - Full refund minus $25 admin fee
14 days or less before the course date - 50% Refund
A full refund will be given if ARK-J Program Certification Course is cancelled any reason. ARK-J Program coordinators reserve the right to cancel a conference in the event of an unforeseen circumstance, or if the minimum acceptable registration is not attained. In the event of a cancellation, ARK-J Program coordinators are obligated to refund the registration fee only. However, should any course be cancelled, ARK-J Program coordinators will reimburse the airline change fee up to $100 only (with proof of documentation) for registrants only.
Refunds will not be provided to those who do not cancel or for those who begin a course but do not complete it.
Please complete the online Vendor Application form on the ARK-J Course website at http://www.arkjprogram.com/vendors.html.
***A full list of FAQs is located on the "FAQ" page of the course website.
Date and Time
The Friday Center for Continuing Education
Bellflower Conference Room
100 Friday Center Drive
Chapel Hill , North Carolina 27599