Thanksgiving Day Block Party Event
Thursday, November 22, 2012 from 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM (PST)
San Francisco, United States
Thank you for your interest in serving with SF City Impact this holiday season.
We appreciate your time and efforts in reaching the Tenderloin Community. This is San Francisco City Impact's 28th year hosting this Thanksgiving Day Block Party Event and we look forward to spending time with you all in serving our favorite community.
Like last year, we are asking volunteers to partner with San Francisco City Impact by paying a $25 registration fee which will go directly towards making this event possible- the fee will underwrite the cost of the event.
However, children under the age of 10 are free.
Goals on this day:
Deliver 10,000 hot meals to homes
Serve 300 Sit Down Thanksgiving Dinners
Deliver 500 grocery bags
Begins at 8:30am (Please bring your printed ticket to the event in order to speed up the registration process)
Registration will be located at the KROC CENTER/SALVATION ARMY
240 TURK STREET
Rock Star Parking - SFCI is proud to have a flat rate with this parking garage at $8 per vehicle for the day.
265 Eddy Street SF CA 94102
Please show them your EVENTBRITE TICKET.
For groups, please have your group register individually or designate a group leader to pay for your group and email a list in advance of first and last names including contact information (address, email and phone number) to the registration table to speed up the registration process.
Email this list to email@example.com
1. Sit Down Thanksgiving Dinners 20 people needed
2. Kitchen at 230 Jones Street 20 people needed
3. Kitchen at KROC Center 15 people needed
4. Security 35 people needed
5. Groceries 20 people needed
6. Registration/Greeters 20 people needed
7. Community Host/Ushers 25 people needed
8. Get Connected 16 people needed
9. Adopt a Building Thanksgiving Dinners Team 1 10 people needed
10. Adopt a Building Thanksgiving Dinners Team 2 10 people needed
11. Adopt a Building Thanksgiving Dinners Team 3 10 people needed
12. Adopt a Building Thanksgiving Dinners Team 6 10 people needed
13. Meal Prep at KROC Center 300 people needed
14. Meal Prep at 230 Jones Street 50 people needed
15. Meal Delivery at 230 Jones Street Team 1 10 people needed
16. Meal Delivery at 230 Jones Street Team 2 10 people needed
17. Meal Delivery at 230 Jones Street Team 3 10 people needed
18. Meal Delivery at 230 Jones Street Team 4 10 people needed
19. Meal Delivery at 230 Jones Street Team 5 10 people needed
20. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 1 10 people needed
21. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 2 10 people needed
22. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 3 10 people needed
23. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 4 10 people needed
24. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 5 10 people needed
25. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 6 10 people needed
26. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 7 10 people needed
27. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 8 10 people needed
28. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 9 10 people needed
29. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 10 10 people needed
30. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 11 10 people needed
31. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 12 10 people needed
32. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 13 10 people needed
33. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 14 10 people needed
34. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 15 10 people needed
35. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 16 10 people needed
36. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 17 10 people needed
37. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 18 10 people needed
38. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 19 10 people needed
39. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 20 10 people needed
40. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 21 10 people needed
41. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 22 10 people needed
42. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 23 10 people needed
43. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 24 10 people needed
44. Meal Delivery at KROC Center Team 25 10 people needed
1. Sit Down Thanksgiving Dinners: This team will host a THanksgiving Dinner indoors for those who come in off the street. They will be greeted with volunteers and have an experience of a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. This is a very intimate experience with the those who live in the area, mostly those without homes.
2 & 3 -Kitchen: Those who sign up for KITCHEN will prepare all the food for 10,000 meals. Over 3000 lbs of turkey (turkey and turkey breast) will come through this kitchen. Deboning turkey, cooking mashed potatoes, cooking slicing and chopping vegetables. Any level of experience welcome. This is the job that requires volunteers to move quick, work well with others and is the first team to get started for the day. Will most likely miss the day's orientation and volunteer briefing.
4. SECURITY: This team will help with crowd control. Often time with large events it's nice to have some volunteers to help with keeping the volunteers who are overly excited to serve and the overly excited recipients calm and organized as there is an order to the day. SFCI prides it self in making sure the community gets blessed on this day and needs security to make sure this happens smoothly. We need strong, orderly yet kind volunteers for this job.
5. Groceries: This group will prepare and pass out over 500 bags of groceries to those who attend our block party.
6. Registration/Greeters - This team helps greet those in standing in line to receive groceries and meals. We would like volunteers who are outgoing and like to meet new people. This is a great time to get to know the people in the lines and spend time chatting with them to make the time go by faster as they wait.
7. Community Host/Ushers: This team will be the group who will host and usher our community guest into our block party. We have a 15 minute service to introduce SFCI and celebrate and encourage them as they come in.
8. Get Connected: A designated group of people who will meet all the residents and help them by offering them prayer and referrals to places they might need.
9-15. Adopt a Building Thanksgiving Dinners: These groups are part of the SFCI's Adopt a Building department and these small groups will go into the surrounding builidngs and have a small Thanskgiving party in the apartments or apartments community room. This is a good way to get to know the residents in the Tenderloin Community.
16-17. Meal Prep: will be held in two locations, each location is half a block away from each other. This whole event is based on getting Hot Thanksgiving Dinners to 10,000 people who have signed up in advance for these meals. The meal delivery job is an assembly line formation and theres always a lot of energy in this team. If you are planning on bringing kids, this is a fun place for them to help and theres usually more space for them to roam in case they get a little bored.
230 Jones Street: is located on Jones Street the main campus
of SF City Impact between Eddy St and Turk Street. The meal
prep area can accomodate up to 50 people
KROC CENTER: is located at 140 Turk Street, between Jones St
and Leavenworth Street. The Kroc Center/ Salvation Army
has offered its facilities to SFCI to help us serve the 10,000 meals
to the Tenderloin Community. It's a beautiful facility. The meal
prep area will be held in the gymnasium.
18-47: Meal Delivery - These groups are whats going to get all the food to the people. All deliveries are done by foot. Vehicles are not necessary, however, if there are few peole that would like to drive, please let your leader on that day know. They will arrange for your group to take the meals that are furthest away. Families and those who like dont want to be confined to one area love this task. All meals are carried in bannana boxes to the assigned builidings.
Often times, it might seem as if you're waiting around, however, this is the nature of the job. ALL the Meal Prep teams are doing their best to pump out the meals. So please be patient. This job is vital to getting the job done!
We hope you have a great time and let's make this a holiday that the
Tenderloin Community wont ever forget!
If you have any questions, we have our own Holiday Volunteer Coordinator to help assist you with any questions:
Holiday Volunteer Coordinator
ALL PROCEEDS DIRECTLY BENEFIT SAN FRANCISCO CITY IMPACT AND ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE
(TAX ID NO. 90-0332259)