TFI Technology Forecasting Seminar
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 from 1:00 PM to 6:15 PM (CST)
This seminar provides an excellent overview of the technology forecasting methods and techniques applicable to to fields such as communications, energy, information technology, consumer electronics, and high-tech. The most important quantitative and qualitative tools are covered, with an emphasis on practical understanding and practical examples.
- Introduction to Technology Forecasting: This session provides an overview of the field of technology forecasting including its history, toolbox, applications, and how it fits in with other types of forecasting.
- Forecasting Technology Substitution and Adoption: Technology substitution forecasts how fast new technology will replace old technology. We teach the basic models so that you know enough to do basic technology forecasts and understand forecasts by others.
- Expert Opinion Methods: This session covers the key methods—such as Delphi and nominal groups—that are used for forecasting and ideation.
- Practical Tips for Forecasting and Evaluating Forecasts: This session covers some of the practical issues that come up when you do a technology forecast. It also covers how you can independently judge the quality of a forecast, either for your use in an appraisal or in someone else's appraisal.
- Forecasting Technology Trends: The performance of technologies improve according to known patterns. You will learn how to use these patterns to forecast future improvements as well as how to be alert to breaks in the pattern.
- Technology Forecasting Applications: Communications, Energy and High Tech: In this session you will learn how technology forecasting can be applied to these industries focusing on real-world examples.
- Ideation with MiniTrends MindsetTM and Impact Wheels (Breakout Session): This session introduces TFI's MiniTrends MindsetTM that is designed to increase creativity, innovation, and success. Through an exercise you will also learn about impact wheels, an excellent discovery and exploitation tool, that should be in everyone’s toolbox.
- Depreciation & Valuation Forecasting Applications (Breakout Session): This session teaches how technology forecasts can be combined with other forms of obsolescence to measure depreciation and value for appraisal and financial applications.
Organizations Who Should Attend
- Communications Companies (Telecom, Cable, Longhaul, Wireless, etc.)
- Equipment Manufacturers (Communications, Energy, Semiconductors, Computers,etc.)
- Energy Companies (Electric Power, Oil and Gas, etc.)
- Information Technology Companies (ISPs, Data Centers, Content Providers, etc.)
- Government Agencies (Regulators, Tax Assessors, etc.)
- Other High Tech Industries (Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare, Transportation, etc.)
Business Segments who should attend:
- Strategic Planning
- Network Planning
- Technology Planning
- Market Development
- Regulatory / Tax / Legal
- Depreciation and Assessment
1:00 - 1:15 pm - Introduction to Technology
1:15 - 2:15 pm - Forecasting Technology Substitution and Adoption
2:15 - 2:25 pm - Break
2:25 - 3:00 pm - Expert Opinion Methods
3:00 -3:40 pm - Practical Tips for Forecasting & Evaluating Forecasts
3:40 - 3:50 pm - Break
3:50 - 4:10 pm - Forecasting Technology Trends
4:10 - 4:50 pm - Technology Forecasting Applications: Communications, Energy and High Tech
4:50 - 5:00 pm - Break5:00 - 6:15 pm - Breakout Sessions:
- Ideation with MiniTrends
- Depreciation & Valuation Applications of Forecasting
6:15 pm - Reception
Some of Our Previous Attendees
|Advantax||American Appraisal||AT&T||AT&T Mobility|
|AUS Consultants||Arizona Attorney General Office||Baker Donelson||BCRI|
|Blankenship Resources||Capitol Appraisal Group||CHR Solutions||Comcast|
|CostQuest Associates||Dallas Central Appraisal||Deloitte||Duff & Phelps|
|Embarq||Ernst & Young||FTTH||FMV Opinions|
|Grant Thornton||Hiscock & Barclay, LLP||Hawley Troxell Ennis & Hawley LLP||Hill Ward Henderson Law Firm|
|KPMG||Law Offices of Peter Michaels||Level 3 Communications||Millinium Marketing|
|Qwest||Revenue Wisconsin||Satai Network||SC&H Group, LLC|
|Sprint/Nextel||State of California Board of Equalization||Tax Compliance Inc.||Thompson Reuters|
|Time Warner Cable||T-Mobile||TRCI||Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts|
What Attendees Say
"Thank you for putting on your seminars and conference. ... One-on-one with the authors, the experts, a wonderful educational opportunity."
Robert G. Strong, Tax Director
"Great program...information is timely and program ties together well. Good for attendees with various background and interests. I highly recommend."
Jeffery S. Binkley, Managing Director
Seminar Director and Presenters
Lawrence K. Vanston, Ph.D., President, Technology Futures, Inc.
Larry is an expert on the future of telecommunications and its significance to organizations and people. Since 1985, he has been the director and principal author of ongoing reports commissioned by the Telecommunications Technology Forecasting Group, presently comprised of AT&T, CenturyLink, Verizon, and Windstream. In 2013 the TTFG was expanded to the Communications Technology Forecasting Group to include cable television and wireless providers. Dr. Vanston is Editor of the CTFG blog and resource website and directs TFI’s popular TFI Communications Technology Asset Valuation Conference, now in its 9th year.
John H. Vanston, Ph.D., Chairman, Technology Futures, Inc.
John founded TFI in 1978, building the Austin, Texas-based company into a leading authority in custom research and technology forecasting. John's MiniTrends concept, designed to increase creativity, innovation, and success, is summarized in the award-winning book MINITRENDS: How Innovators & Entrepreneurs Discover & Profit From Business & Technology Trends and highlighted in TFI's annual MiniTrends Conference which he chairs. John is also the primary architect of TFI's Five Views of the Future™ Forecasting Framework.
Robert Harris, Senior Consultant, Technology Futures, Inc.
Bob has a unique 20+ year career holding leadership positions with service providers and with the equipment manufactures of telecommunication systems. He has extensive knowledge in the analysis, engineering, marketing and management of multimedia and networking technology products and services with experience in domestic and international markets. Prior to joining TFI, he served as Vice President, Network Planning and Architecture at Time Warner Cable for 13 years.
Carrie Vanston, Vice President, Communications, Technology Futures, Inc
As co-author of MINITRENDS: How Innovators & Entrepreneurs Discover & Profit From Business & Technology Trends, she brings a distinct real-world quality to MiniTrends activities, particularly in the purpose and social media areas.Carrie has many years of experience in public relations, marketing, and sales at TFI and in the entertainment industry. She is director of TFI's annualMiniTrends Conference.
Registration for TFI Technology Forecasting Seminar
Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. followed by Reception
Standard Rate: $250
Assessor/Government/Academic Rate: $150
Student Rate: $75
Continued Professional Education Credits: Earn up to 3.25 Texas CPE credits and/or up to 5 National Registry of CPE Sponsors credits.
LOCATION/ACCOMMODATIONS: Radisson Hotel & Suites Downtown, 111 E. Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, TX 78701, (512) 473-1544, The hotel is on Lady Bird Lake, in walking distance to Austin's famous 6th Street, and near the Texas State Capitol, the University of Texas, and other popular Austin sites.
A limited block of rooms is being held under "Technology Futures" until January 7, 2014 at $159 plus tax for a regular room.* To book a regular room, call (800) 395-7046 or reserve online at https://resweb.passkey.com/go/techfutures. *There are also a limited number of suites available for $199 plus tax; for those, please contact Ashley Riley, 512-473-1544 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a non-smoking facility with complimentary high-speed Internet and wireless access throughout the hotel.
To receive updated seminar details, dates, and registration information for future sessions, please click here.
Please contact Helen Mary Marek at info @ tfi.com or call us at (800) 835-3887 or (512) 258-8898 with any questions regarding the conference.
When & Where
Technology Futures, Inc.
For 35 years, Technology Futures, Inc. (TFI) has provided top-quality custom studies and technology forecasts on key trends to a wide variety of commercial, government, and academic organizations. TFI's specialties include technology forecasting, depreciation/valuation, telecommunications, minitrends, and energy.