Sunday, December 2, 2012 from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM (CST)
On December 2nd, TEDxSugarLand will join TEDxWomen and TEDx organizations globally to turn the spotlight on ideas of importance to women and girls. The 'high tea' event will spark a vibrant ongoing conversation about women and girls worldwide who challenge and redefine the traditional rules and roles ascribed to women and men, girls and boys.
Participants will watch one full recorded session of the TEDxWomen event taking place at the Paley Center in D.C. that weekend, and will additionally hear interesting speakers from within the Sugar Land / Houston community discuss issues of critical importance to women and girls globally.
Our theme for 2012 mirrors TEDxWomen's theme ('The Space Between') and is intended to deepen the conversation we started at our previous conference in August (The Age of Wonderment). In particular, the event will focus on how women are less likely to approach subjects from a black-or-white perspective as they see the gray area in between. There is a curiosity in wanting to explore what is in between extremes, to gain the big picture and find the areas where we need more understanding and perhaps compromise. Women know that this is where life happens—the places in between.
Confirmed speakers for this event include:
- Dr. Yamile Jackson - Engineer and developer - founder of Nurtured By Design - bringing together technologies to reduce neurological morbities in infants (www.nbyd.co)
- Chris Cockrell - Corporate Lawyer & Director of Girls Inc. - has served on Board of Directors of various organizations and committes, including at the Electricity Reliability Council of Texas.
- Dr. Joseph Love - Assistant Professor of Surgery (Cardiac & Trauma) at the UT Medical School & Memorial Hermann Hospital
- Jyoti Gupta - leads Colors of Brown, an media literacy initiative aimed at dispelling skin color discrimination through online conversation. She is a blogger-designer for 'The Colorism Project'; director of TEDxSugarLand social media initiatives; and marketing and graphic design expert for the non-profit sector. Her selected design work and blogs are online at: www.jyotigupta.org
- Lt. Col. Giulia Hattan - Lt. Col. in US Army for 28 years - Company Commander during Operation Desert Storm and Logistics Batallion Commander during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
TEDxSugarLandWomen is being curated by Meera Raghavendra and hosted by Adrienne Barker, Director, Houston Museum of Natural Science Sugar Land. Co-organizers include Kim Bond Evans, Saleena Jafry, Dr. Sarwat Jafry, Shaheen Chandani, Ishrat Khan, and Yunuen Perez Vertti.
When & Where
TEDxSugarLand / Houston Museum of Natural Science Sugar Land
At TEDxSugarLand we strongly believe in TED's vision of galvanizing community around ideas worth spreading.
Our events are geared around topics ranging from advances in science and technology to breakthroughs in education, economics, and healthcare. We aspire to bring forth a perspective on the complex nature of our global economy, emergence of local activism driven by social media, important topics in current affairs, and a delightful medley of performances by world renowned musicians who have roots in and around the city of Sugar Land.
Today, we live in an age where economic surplus and cultural awareness have allowed the human society to devote unprecedented resources (and some of its best minds) to contemplate the nature of things. We are as fascinated by the magical beauty revealed to us by phenomenons that occur on the very large galactic scales to that which tantalize our imagination with their near-invisibility.
In this golden era of knowledge creation and awareness we invite you to consider joining us and seeing for yourself how Sugar Land continues to find its sweet spot on the global mosaic.