VETRATE ARTISTICHE TOSCANE, will hold intensive summer workshops in the Techniques of Painting on Glass. Duration 2 weeks (Monday to Friday).
Available dates see below. Cost is €900 materials included. Down payment of 200 euro required, non-refundable. Remainder of the balance due upon arrival at studio, which is 700 euro in cash.
The course will take place in our workshop in the very centre of Siena (Tuscany).
The two week structure gives students with little or no experience, the possibility to complete a project including advanced techniques. Past experiences have shown us that all students (even those who have attended other workshops) need the first week of basic technique to access the second week of advanced work. It is therefore strongly advised /recommended to attend both.
The first week (27 feb to 3 march) includes:
- Techniques, materials and tools
- Mixing and applying grisaille; media and thinners
- Tracing and matting, firing only once
- Removing the grisaille
- Firing the grisaille onto the glass
- General discussion on the results
The second week (6 to 10 march)
The student will be introduced to the most refined techniques on how to paint on glass with grisaille and enamels.
The subjects will be chosen from drawings of late 19th, early 20th century stained glass, the period during which the top of “virtuosismo” in the field of stained glass was reached, both in design and technique of applying grisaille and enamels.
Indications will be given on the particular techniques used in medieval stained glass (of which Siena was the first school since the 13th century) using the materials and technology available at the time and listed in the book by Cennino Cennini (XIV century). This part of the course is crucial in case you have to restore antique panels.
The techniques learnt are also applicable to more modern styles.
- How to draw a cartoon using graphite and charcoal.
- Tracing on glass the guidelines of the drawing using various media.
- Vinegar, gum arabic oily medium and the antique technique of grisaille tempered with egg a procedure handed down from the ancient “bottega” before the introduction of modern media
- Shading by brush and study of the effects of the strokes.
- Shading via airgun.
- Mechanisms of interaction between tracing and shading.
- How to apply enamels to get different tones on the same “tessera” previously shaded.
- Application of silver stain.
- How to apply more than one coat, firing only once: order of application of media.
The workshop is of a very high level and suitable for professionals.
The theory of these points will be followed by a practical exercise in the construction of 2 small projects from cartoons provided by the studio. Total Cost €900.
Students are able to participate in the basic painting technique workshop only – (first week at cost Euro 500 – One project construction). Glass used is Desag Artist (GNA).
Students are expected to have basic glass cutting experience for their project.
The course will be conducted in English by Gianni Bracciali on the first week and by Francesco Mori on the second. Minimum 3 students.
Gianni Bracciali, (owner) has worked with glass in the last 30 years and teaching for 20.
Francesco Mori, is the painter of the window represented on the cover of Stained Glass Quarterly spring 2015. Got a degree in Fine Art and Art History from the University of Siena and was chosen to produce a copy of the window in the eye of the Cathedral of Siena from Duccio di Boninsegna made in 1288 (www.francescomoriarte.it)
Costs and method of payment
Cost is €900 materials included. Down payment of 200 euro required, non-refundable. Remainder of the balance due upon arrival at studio, which is 700 euro in cash.
Booking should take place at least one month before the beginning of the course.
Enrollment can only become effective on reception of the required deposit – we will inform you of the method of payment when we confirm your booking.
It is essential that participants carry their own medical insurance. Students should bring their own mask and goggles.
WORKSHOP SCHEDULE / REQUIREMENTS
The period of the workshop is 10 days (5 days for those attending the first part only). Lessons will take place from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Monday/Friday (one hour break for lunch).
- The workshop will cover all the painting techniques listed separately.
- EU citizens will need to bring medical insurance cover offered to EU members during a stay in a member country.
- Your Department of Health and Social Security office will issue this form for you.
- Non EU citizens need to have an insurance cover valid abroad.
GENERAL INFORMATION / HOUSING
After your enrolment in the workshop has been confirmed, we will send you contacts for housing. Places in the centre are very sought after therefore booking in advance allows better choice. If you are able to find a room/apartment within the walled city, you will not have to rely on public transport as one walks everywhere. The cost of a single room in a shared apartment is Euro 200 – 300 per week. Cost of a one bedroom apartment or studio is roughly Euro 300 – 400 per week.
- For hothels contact www.hotelsiena.com (email firstname.lastname@example.org), www.bbitalia.com (B&B).
- Groceries are less expensive that the UK. Eating out can be very reasonable if you choose the pizzerias and less expensive trattorias.
- There is an excellent bus service to Florence (1 hour) and Rome (3 hours).
- Siena is in an good position to explore Tuscany. We can help with itineraries.
- Public transport in Italy costs much less than in the UK and the rest of Europe.
- Please do not forget to have health insurance while in Italy.
More about Siena at the following Web Pages: