TeamSTEPPS Train the Trainer
TeamSTEPPS Master Training Course is a hands-on course with a train-the-trainer approach. Participants learn and demonstrate TeamSTEPPS fundamentals content, are provided with resources for training others, and gain the knowledge and training required to implement and coach others in achieving positive results. This course produces Master Trainers, who will be trained to go back to their respective schools and offer TeamSTEPPS training and certification to faculty, staff, and students.
TeamSTEPPS Master Training is free to TTUHSC faculty members and space will be limited to 50 participants. Faculty members interested in bringing this training back to their respective schools must register their interest in the course. Registration requests will be reviewed and final registrations will be distributed across schools and campuses for maximum institutional impact.
The application deadline (Eventbrite registration) is Friday, June 3, 2016. Applications will be notified of final registration approval by Friday, June 10, 2016.
The course schedule is as follows:
Wednesday, July 27th
9:00 am - 4:00 pm, TTUHSC 1C125B
Thursday, July 28th
9:00 am - 12:00 pm, F. Marie Hall SimLife Center
- Describe the impact of medical error and importance of communication and teamwork in preventing error.
- Demonstrate the following team leadership activities; briefing, huddles, debriefing, and conflict resolution.
- Describe situation awareness and cross monitoring.
- Demonstrate communication skills of SBAR, assertion, and closed-loop communicaiton.
- Define mutual support.
- Demonstrate coaching and feedback.
- Develop an implementation plan for using TeamSTEPPS to resolve a specific issue.
For more information on TeamSTEPPS Master Training please visit: www.teamsteppsportal.org/teamstepps-master-training-course.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's):
1. Will lunch be provided? A light continential breakfast and lunch will be provided on Wednesday, July 27th. No food is allowed in the SimLife center on Thursday, July 28th.
2. Can my school register more than one faculty member? Schools are encouraged to register as many faculty members that would be willing to bring TeamSTEPPS back to their program area to train students, faculty, and staff. The TeamSTEPPS committee will meet to determine the best use of available slots based on the number and variety of registrations. The goal is to produce Master Trainers on each campus and school program area.
3. Will over-night accomodations be made for faculty attending from out-of-town? Unfortunately, at this time, hotel arrangements will be the responsibility of each school.
4. Who is providing the training? TeamSTEPPS Master Training is taught by certified Master Trainers that are faculty and staff members at TTUHSC. A consultant will also be on site to provide additional insight and support to the training staff.
5. Is there a cost to the training? No. The Master Trainer course if free of charge and is brought to TTUHSC by the generosity of the Office of Interprofessional Education, the F. Marie Hall SimLife Center, and Our HSC Employee Campaign.
6. How will training be conducted in the F. Marie Hall SimLife Center? Training on Thursday will consist of six separate scenarios with standarized patients in the simulation center. Participants will be divided into interprofessional groups in order to practice TeamSTEPPS techniques with opportunities to debrief following each scenario.
7. What is required of me? Participants are asked to complete a pre and post test survey. The pre-test link will be provided once registration has been completed.