The Symposium on the Use of Social Media in the Tourism Industry will take place, November 17-19, 2010 in Loudoun County, Virginia.
The Symposium - referred to via the Twitter hash tag #SoMeT - will feature several tourism focused presentations and panel discussions on the impact of social media in the travel, tourism and hospitality industries.
The program will begin on Wednesday, November 17th at 1:00 pm, EST and continue with several sessions that afternoon. An offsite reception and "Tweet Up" will take place at 6:00pm that evening at the Sunset Hills Vineyard, courtesy of our host, the Loudoun Convention and Visitors Association.
Thursday's program will feature general sessions, breakouts, lunch and "Colleague Forums" - a place you can discuss challenges with similar organizations in size and scope. Thursday will conclude with another reception on the hotel property at 6:00 pm.
Friday includes morning sessions and then the symposium will conclude at noon.
A variety of topics and presenters have been assembled. Confirmed are the following:
- "#TwitterWorks-How Social Media Built a Restaurant, Pizza Truck & Thousands of Relationships"
by Joe Sorge, Owner of AJ Bombers in Milwaukee, WI - @ajbombers
- "Building and Maintaining Your Tourism Brand with Social Media"
by Steve Chandler, Branding Muse - @sschandler
- "Creating an Event in Real Time - The #SoMeT Story"
by David Serino, Gammet Interactive and SoMeTourism Founder - @GammetGuy
- "Getting Blood from a Turnip When You're the Turnip: Creating More Travel Blog Content with Less Time"
by Sheila Scarborough, Tourism Currents - @SheilaS
- "What You Need to Know about the Future of Mobile Technology, Applications & Marketing within the Travel Industry"
by Lucas Cobb - @MMG_Worldwide - and Ted Sullivan, MMG Worldwide - @Ted_Sullivan
- "What Happens in Loudoun County, Virginia goes on YouTube & Flickr"
by Anne Hornyak - @WhosYourAnnie - and Martin Stoll - @ColdinPDX - Sparkloft Media
- Facebook: What's Not to Like about "Like It"?
by Martin Stoll, Sparkloft Media - @ColdinPDX
- Can Reality Change Perception? - Using Content & Social Media to Rebrand Mardi Gras
by Tom Martin, Converse Digital - @TomMartin
- Does Your Web Site Actually Help Your Tourism Business?
by Andrew Hayes, Travel Online Partners - @AndrewGHayes
- How to Become One of the Most Social Destinations in the United States: Panel Discussion
with Jenny Stephenson Matheny, Paramore|Redd - @paramoreredd
Jennifer Spence, Tennessee Department of Tourism.
Additional representatives invited.
- The Integration and Metric Measurement of Social Media
by Irene Alvarez, Experience Columbus - @irene_expcols
Karin Mast, Miles Media - @milesmedia
- Foursquare and Twitter: Developing a Geolocation and Micro Blogging Strategy
by Richard Bond, Pennsylvania Tourism - @visitPA
Tom Rowe, Visit Baltimore - @baltimoremd
- Social Media, Passion & Travel
by William Bakker, Tourism British Columbia - @wilhelmus
The program will be hosted at the Embassy Suites Dulles North, Ashburn, VA. Rooms are available at $129/night and include a full American breakfast each morning. Call 703-723-5300 with reservation code: SOM by 10/1/2010 to make your reservations or reserve online at the SoMeTourism Embassy Suites Reservation Page.
We would also like the thank Think! Social Media, the symposium's title sponsor.
When & Where
Gammet Interactive, LLC
Gammet Interactive is an online agency that serves the travel, tourism, hospitality and meetings industry with the development of interactive marketing and social media strategies. The organization was founded by travel and tourism industry veteran, Dave Serino in the fall of 2000.