Sydney Light Rail Action Group Next Information Forum:
Date: Monday, 26th September, 2016
Time: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Place :The Randwick Club: 135 Alison Rd, Randwick
You are invited to the next meeting of the Sydney Light Rail Action Group to work together to act to Save The Trees and Save The Buses to be killed and cut for the CBD and South East Light Rail
The Baird Liberal government is killing our Anzac Memorial Trees. 1408 trees are to be impacted for the CBD and South East Light Rail Project. 900 small trees to be planted along the route as compensation and 900 elsewhere.
The Baird Liberal government is cutting our public transport. 220 buses with a capacity of 25,300 passengers an hour are to be replaced by 15 trams with a capacity of 6,750 passengers an hour – a cut of 73%. The cut in capacity will need to be made up for by buses, which defeats the whole purpose for having light rail in the first place.
Twenty Bus Routes are to be Eliminated!
- 373, 374, 376, 377, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 399, L94, M10, M50,
- All University of NSW Express Buses: 890, 891, 892, 895
- All Sydney Boys and Girls High School Express Buses: Route 610
Are there any benefits to the light rail?
The CBD and South East Light Rail would also be:
- Slower than our current buses
- Less convenient
- Less comfortable
- Less safe
- Less wheelchair and pram space per hour
- More congesting
- Worse for the environment
- Cut 54 bus stops replaced by 19 light rail stops.
- Up to 2 kilometres between light rail stops
- Kill small business
- Remove access for Chronically and Terminally Ill patients on High street to medical centres.
- Encourages massive high-rise development, due to the perception that light rail increases public transport capacity.
What can we do? Isn’t it too late? Hasn’t the horse already bolted? So far, Legal, Political and Environmental action has all been completely ignored by the Baird State Government due to their massive majority in parliament. The roads minister, emergency services minister, environment minister, planning minister, premier and treasurer have all said it is not their department and referred all enquiries to the minister for transport. The minister for transport refuses to meet with the community. Despite the priceless heritage listing of the trees and an emergency request to the federal environment minister, the project still proceeds.
With the support of Randwick Greens Councillor Murray Matson and Randwick Mayor Noel D’Souza (Labor) and the entire Liberal Party, a Federal Government that isn’t listening, including Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott that both refuse to save our priceless Anzac Memorial Trees, as ‘it's a state issue’, the only thing that will stop this destructive madness is people power.
That's where you come in. What can you do? Ask everyone you know if they support the Baird Liberal Government killing our Anzac Parade Memorial Trees and Cutting our buses and public transport. Do they support increasing traffic congestion, decreasing public transport capacity, and increasing high-rise development in our city, without proper underground heavy rail?
Call talkback radio often 24 hours a day, to let them know your feelings – 2GB 131 873 2UE 13 13 32 2SM 13 1269 ABC702 1300 222 702. Call from a landline if you can and speak loudly and clearly. Leave the contact number 0414 755 621 and email address for people to get in touch email@example.com Write to the papers and online publications, call TV stations.
Meet with your local member of parliament, celebrities, and people of influence and ask them what they will do to help us save the trees and buses.
Donate to the campaign;
Account Name Save The Trees And Buses
Account Number 426225848
Volunteer: Plenty of volunteer roles available. Can you deliver flyers? Look after a stall? Do you have PR, Marketing and Advertising skills? Can you interview people on your smartphone and upload to the internet? Do you have any other ideas that you can do to save the trees and buses?
Please sign up to the mailing list of the Sydney Light Rail Action Group for updates on meetings, rallies and other action: https://sydneylightrailactiongroup.wordpress.com/contact/mailing-list/
Please come along to our next public meeting to find out what’s going on:
DATE: Monday 26th September 2016
PLACE: The Randwick Club, 135 Alison Rd Randwick.
RSVP and more information: Please call John Bellamy on 0414 755 621
Ensure that your local council, state and federal members know how you feel, in particular:
- Andrew Constance (Transport Minister) ph 8574 5807 or email firstname.lastname@example.org |
- Mike Baird (Premier) ph 8574 5000 email email@example.com
- Bruce Notley-Smith (Liberal – Coogee) phone 9398 1822 or 9230 3359 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Murray Matson (The Greens – Randwick) phone 0409 984 587 or email email@example.com |
- Noel D’Souza (Randwick Mayor (Labor) phone 0477 351 202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org |
- Clover Moore (Lord Mayor) ph 9265 9229 or email email@example.com
- Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott.
- Kim Ellis CEO of Centennial Parklands: