Sustainability Jam is an annual event that happens on the same weekend in cities across the world. Locations work to a (secret!) theme that’s not revealed until the first evening of the jam.
The Global Sustainability Jam is the Global Service Jam’s response to our sustainability crisis. The Global Service Jam movement is committed to unleashing the creative and disruptive power of design-thinking to our sustainability individually, in community and on our planet.
At each location, teams are formed to work on real-world ideas with a focus on sustainability. Jammers work together on their new product or service using design-thinking, start-up business model tools and other techniques to accelerate their learning. Teams ideate, make meaning, rapidly prototype, test, learn & reflect, re-design, iterate and, finally, pitch their solution.
Be part of a global change-making event! Melbourne sets the scene and is often the first site to receive the secret theme. We will pulse out a wave of creativity that builds around the world as each site ripples out with the secret theme.
No matter your level of experience or your perception of your own creative capacity, the Global Jam movement offers you a safe space to grow, create and deeply connect with people through service design. The motto of the global movement is 'doing not talking' - and you're invited!
You can expect to
Learn and build your creative confidence by using design thinking tools and methods
- Experience thestilldynamic's (TSD's) deep emergent human scaling method
Hone your persuasion, facilitation and collaboration skills with people you meet and choose to work with
Meet new people, make new connections, build a network of like-minded explorers looking for new and better ways to create and deliver value.
Eat! It’s fully catered: we’ll load you up with food, snacks and coffee
Your ticket price includes
- Access to two-and-a-bit days of learning, creativity, networking and new challenges
- All materials required during the Jam
- Breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and dinner on Friday and Saturday
What is a Jam?
A jam is a human-centred design-led hackathon. It uses the musical metaphor of “jamming” together, where a team of individuals who are unrelated come together to make great and new music.
Sustainability Jam is a service design jam. In a service design jam, the people are the musicians, their experience and imagination the instruments and the music made: novel products and services they could not create alone.
Jams are about empathy, collaboration and experimentation. They promote co-design and participation. Come and stretch your understanding of what you are capable of creating in 24 intensive hours.
What will I learn?
You will experience the value of design thinking to the business of government. Nothing will prepare you for the speed at which ideas are generated, prototyped, tested, refined, prototyped and put to the reality test: letting citizen users interact with your creation.
You will learn:
- Design-thinking methods such as divergent/convergent thinking, learning by doing, customer journeys, empathy maps
- Rapid prototyping: body-storming, wire-framing, Lego modelling. Prototyping is where the magic happens. Prototypes make your concept real in the world. They provide a reference that you can test with each other and with your market.
- Startup business development tools: such as like the value proposition canvas and the business model canvas and the ‘five whys’.
If you don’t believe it is possible to build a new business or service in 24 hours of intense activity with a bunch of strangers, come to the Jam and we’ll prove it.
What should I bring and wear?
- Wear comfortable clothes. If you're coming straight from work on Friday, please change into comfortable clothes for that evening it will make a difference to your experience, as jams involve a lot of movement and play.
- Bring your waterbottle