CHOC 306: Geography of Chocolate
This course will draw on geographical contexts to explore how chocolate changes based on location. Topics include terroir and genus of cocoa beans, along with a gustatory exploration of different examples.
Featured Flavor: Mimosa
About Sugar Love University
Founded over a few experimental truffles in 2016, Sugar Love University explores topics in chocolate with a taste-buds-on setting. SLU's course offerings cover a variety of ideas — from turning inspiration into confection to the history of chocolate through the ages. Learn about the origins of chocolate, its role in commerce and culture and its transformation throughout culinary history. With a focus on palpable and experiential education, SLU believes the best way to understand chocolate is to taste it.
Sugar Love University offers a focused course each month that delves into a particular facet of chocolate. Each session will feature limited-edition chocolate flavors, complimentary wine, beer or spirits, and light hors d’oeuvres. Matriculating students must be at least 21 years old.
*Sugar Love University is not affiliated or accredited by any official education institution. These courses won't get you a real-world, job-securing diploma. But, they will make you smarter at dinner parties.
Full Curriculum and Dates
- CHOC 102: History of Chocolate, Wednesday, 8/24/16
- CHOC 103: Seminar in Textures, Thursday, 9/22/16
- CHOC 104: Principles of Ingredients, Thursday, 10/20/16
- CHOC 203: New World Flavors, Wednesday, 11/16/16
- CHOC 204: Chocolate Rituals and Celebrations, Thursday, 12/15/16
- CHOC 205: Health Benefits of Chocolate, Tuesday, 1/10/17
- CHOC 303: Focus On Flavors, Wednesday, 2/8/17
- CHOC 304: Special Topics in Chocolate Inspiration, Thursday, 3/9/17
- CHOC 306: Geography of Chocolate, Tuesday, 4/4/17
- CHOC 403: Advanced Ingredient Studies, Wednesday, 5/10/17
- CHOC 404: Chocolate and Masculinity, Thursday, 6/15/17
Registration and Tuition
Sugar Love University offers a variety of academic tracks and options for study based on the quantity of credits and enrollment date. See options below for prices.