Creating Unforgettable Characters For Animation & Film with Mike Defeo.
Mike Defeo has worked in the animation industry for over two decades sculpting some of the most recognizable characters out there from Despicable Me's Gru to Ice Ages' Scrat.
Mike Defeo is a sculptor whose specialty lies in translating 2D character designs into fully-fledged 3D models. He hand-built the modeling and sculpting studios at Blue Sky Studios where he worked for 15 years bringing countless characters to life for Ice Age, Robots, Rio, and Epic.
Since striking out on his own in 2010, Mike has worked on Despicable Me 2, The Lorax, Minions and The Secret Life of Pets.
Mike will demonstrate his process of creating stylized characters.
- How to understand and break down 3D forms and volumes
- How to sculpt a stylized character for animation using key design principles
- How to understand the concept of appeal and put it into practice as you design your own characters
- Understanding the challenges professional character artists face and the role they play in animation pipelines
- Tips for incorporating a character's movement and facial expressions into your designs
"The key to a successful sculpture is a solid foundation and in this workshop I will break down how to pre-visualize the sculpting process in to simple primitive forms. I will show the various techniques to create characters from very simple to advanced. I will be using ZBrush for the demo however all the form visualization is applicable to clay sculpture as well.
“This workshop will be a demo/lecture but participants are welcome to bring their own laptops and draw/sculpt along with me.
N.B. Due to the short time-frame we are unable to offer refunds for cancellations. If you are unable to make the event please contact us to inform us who will be going in your place, or if you need our help finding a replacement.