Actions and Detail Panel
Street Photography Workshop
Sat, June 17, 2017, 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM BST
This workshop is designed by Kilometre Zero for photographers of all types who are wanting to try out street photography. Our expert photographers Gareth and Gavin Bragdon will show you around the beautiful city of Edinburgh on a mission to help you develop a good practice and capture the essence of its streets.
Gareth and Gavin are brothers who have been doing street photography for the past 5 years in Edinburgh and throughout Europe. They are known internationally and have received multiple awards for their photography.
We will start with a sit down introduction to the workshop whilst having a coffee, where we’ll have a brief explanation on how to use your camera, what settings to use, what to look for and how to approach strangers to capture images openly. Gavin and Gareth will show you examples and they will explain you how to achieve a good practice.
Once the concept is clear, it is time to take your camera and hit the streets!
What to expect?
Street photography is all about reaction and emotion but, what do you look for when you’re out on the streets? This practice workshop will focus on the following points:
1. The decisive moment – when everything comes together in a perfect moment, and you hit the shutter.
2. Juxtaposing elements - two different elements in a frame that directly contradict one another.
3. Emotion - street photographs are the ones that have strong emotion and show some sort of reflection on the human condition. This can include happiness, pain, sadness, loneliness, humour, anxiety, youth, and love.
4. Visual images - sense of geometry and composition shot in good light with shadows. Strong diagonal lines, leading lines, curves, and shapes of interest.
5. Details – Less is more. How to focus on the details, not the whole picture. By showing less of what is going on in the photograph, you create more mystery in your image.
6. Urban landscapes - find a scene that somehow elicits a sense of nostalgia, emotion, or societal critique.
Digital camera. Lens focal lengths of around 21mm-50mm is preferred. SD card.
Reasonable competence with a camera and a real passion for photography.
Please submit one of your own pictures, no matter the genre, to email@example.com. This will allow our photographers to tailor the workshop to everyone’s level.
What's the refund policy?
Please note this is a non-refundable ticket
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Yes. The tickets will be collected on arrival