Storywriting the LitWits Way - June
Santa Cruz, CA
9:00am - 12:00pm June 17 - 21 Ages guideline: 10-16
For years our unique sensory methods have shown kids the power and joy of reading great stories – so they’ll learn without trying, and want to read more!
This summer, we're showing kids the power and joy of writing their OWN stories, inspired by
- sensory props from great stories: sounds, tastes, odors, objects, and images
- inspiring excerpts by masterful storytellers like J.R.R. Tolkien, Charlotte Bronte, Ray Bradbury, Natalie Babbitt, Ernest Hemingway, Cormac McCarthy, Edgar Allan Poe, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and many more!
- fun activities that show why certain techniques work
- engaging art projects that connect us to our own characters and stories
While having all that hands-on fun, we’ll learn
- narrative arc components and pacing
- powerful description techniques
- how to effect mood and tone
- interesting characterization methods
- how to increase and resolve tension
- intriguing metaphors and similes
- how to emulate the masters
- the power of our own voices
Note: Fee includes all supplies and materials. We'll hold this workshop if enrollment meets the minimum by June 3rd. If your own plans change, please let us know by June 3rd, and we'll gladly issue a full refund.
Campus of Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the children's building)
350 Mission St
Making literature a memorable, hands-on experience for kids!
LitWits makes a great book an experience kids won’t forget -- which leads to incidental, natural learning. For four hours we immerse them in the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feel of a single pre-read book through prop-based discussion and creative activities, including drama, art, writing, history, geography, science, and more! Visit our website to see how we've brought great books to life! When children learn with their senses, their enthusiasm and curiosity increase, and teachable moments abound.
LitWits has been helping kids experience literature since 2010. See our gallery of good times with great books!