Sep 8-12 , 9:00am - 12:00pm
Ages* guideline: 9+
LitWits is an approved vendor for Ocean Grove Charter School.
Since 2010 our unique sensory methods have shown kids the power and joy of reading great stories – so they’ll learn without trying, and want to read more! In 2013 we introduced StoryWriting Camp, showing kids the power and joy of writing their OWN stories. What masterpieces they wrote – and with such pride!
StoryWriting Camp is back this fall to inspire young writers with:
• sensory props from great stories: sounds, tastes, odors, objects, and images
• inspiring excerpts by masterful storytellers
• fun activities that show why certain techniques work
• engaging art projects that connect us to our own characters and stories
While having all that hands-on fun, we’ll learn
• narrative arc components and pacing
• powerful description techniques
• how to effect mood and tone
• interesting characterization methods
• how to increase and resolve tension
• intriguing metaphors and similes
• emulation of the masters
• the power of our own voices
* Please don't let this age guideline scare you off. If your younger child can read and write and wants to attend, s/he's very welcome and will do just fine! Our activities are geared to accommodate a range of ages simultaneously. There is no pre-reading for this camp; we'll just be reading short excerpts we hand out in the workshop, as models and inspiration.
Note: Fee includes all supplies and materials. If your plans change, please let us know by August 31st, and we'll gladly issue a full refund.
We bring great books to life for kids!
A LitWits workshop is a sensory, creative, kinetic immersion in a pre-read book. We want kids to discover the JOY of reading! So we reach straight into the story to come up with:
sensory props (we see, hear, smell, and feel what the characters did)
bookbites (we taste what the characters ate)
creative projects (we make what a character made)
activities (we do what a character did)
academic handouts (we learn the story's narrative arc, vocabulary, and setting)
creative writing (usually modeled on something written or done in the story)
It's amazing how much kids can learn while they're "just" having fun! We use the same methods in our story and essay writing camps and teen Master Classes, We love helping kids "get" the thrill of well-crafted writing!
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.