Take a challenge that could save your life!
We are pleased to announce that the American Heart Association is accepting applications for women who would like to participate in the 2017 Story County Go Red For Women® Challenge — a challenge that could save your life.
Background: Research shows that most cardiac events can be prevented if women make small, yet life-saving choices for their hearts. Go Red For Women® is the American Heart Association’s national movement to make women aware of their risk for heart disease and provide inspiration to take action to reduce that risk.
Introducing the 2017 Story County Go Red For Women® Challenge! We will be selecting 12 women in the Story County area, who will be profiled on our Web site and in the media. Finalists are encouraged to adopt lifestyle changes such as increased physical activity and healthy eating. We hope that others will follow these women through their challenge, and be inspired to begin a healthy lifestyle of their own.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Live or work in Story County or surrounding areas
- Have at least one area of health they would like to improve (i.e. weight, blood pressure, physical activity, etc.)
- Have access to a computer and internet
- Agree to not participate in any other diet, weight loss or exercise programs during the official dates of the Go Red For Women® Challenge.
Women chosen to participate in the Go Red For Women® Challenge will take part in a 12-week program. Participants will be provided with tools, resources and support needed to make healthy changes in their lives. As part of the Go Red For Women® Challenge, the participants will receive pre and post-consultations with a cardiologist, access to a dietician, and a gym membership with a personal exercise prescription from a personal trainer.
As part of this challenge, our final applicants will be expected to agree to complete the following:
- Pre and Post-testing with a cardiologist, dietitian, and fitness facility (these may take place during regular business hours)
- Attend the Challenge Kick-off Meeting – Thursday, January 28th
- Attend at least 3 group activities throughout the duration of the Challenge
- Attend the Go Red for Women® Dinner on Friday, April 23, 2017
- Serve as a spokesperson for the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women® Movement
We are looking for a diverse group of individuals with respect to age, lifestyle, marital status, ethnicity, and physical health. You do not have to be a model or a particular body type; it is more important to us that we have a diverse group of positive thinkers. Most importantly we are looking for people who are ready to make a positive change to their health (examples: lose weight, lower cholesterol, reduce stress, quit smoking, etc.).
If you would like to be considered for the Go Red For Women® Challenge, please fill out the attached survey link below or email Katherine for a physical form.
American Heart Association
5000 Westown Parkway, Ste 340
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Applications must be submitted by January 9, 2017. Applicants selected to participate will be notified the week of January 16, 2017.