San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This 6 hour course will address the major changes occurring at the state and national level to ensure greater patient safety through new laws and regulations. Pharmacists and Pharmacist Technicians will have to learn to comply with stringent new standards of practice regulating sterile compounding in the hospital and community settings. For the first time, hospital pharmacies will have to become specially licensed by the Board of Pharmacy to do sterile compounding. Our primary target audience is hospital pharmacists and technicians who must now apply for a sterile compounding license from the California State Board of Pharmacy as well as those in the community who are already are intending to incorporate sterile compounding into their practice.
- Discuss the NECC tragedy of October 2012 and other similar cases and its impact on compounding.
- Describe federal legislative actions underway to regulate compounding
- Discuss the new California regulations that will impact sterile compounding practice
- Describe how the Board of Pharmacy has worked to improve patient and public safety with these new regulations.
- Review and discuss Case Studies on sterile compounding
- Describe the changes that are needed to comply with new laws and regulations, examples would be changes in facilities, new equipment, training policy and procedures, new software etc.
- Identify resources for staying current on changing regulatory and legislative issues
*6 contact hours or 0.6 CEUs
*UAN #: 0059-0000-14-001-L03-P / 0059-0000-14-001-L03-T
*This activity is eligible for ACPE credit; see final CPE activity announcement for specific details at:
Reserve your seat today!
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. Breakfast and Registration
8:30 – 9:30 a.m. Steve Gray, PharmD, JD
10:30 – 10:45 a.m. Break
9:30 – 10:30 a.m. David Miller, RPh
10:45 – 11:45 a.m. Amy Gutierrez, PharmD
11:45 – 1:00 p.m. Lunch and Vendor Faire
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Tony Park, PharmD, JD
2:00 – 3:00 p.m. John Cronin, PharmD, JD
3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Panel Session
4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Hosted Reception and Vendor Faire
*Continuing Education event website: http://www.westernu.edu/pharmacy/pharmacy-outreach-events/pharmacy-continuing-education/
When & Where
WesternU College of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy - (909) 469-5500