UPCOMING SESSION LOCATIONS:
Location: Sexual Assault Response & Prevention Center at 930 Commonwealth Avenue, Floor 1
Step Up Step In BU (SUSIBU) is an interactive training that raises awareness about the prevalence of sexual assault and what we as members of the BU community can do to prevent it. Topics covered include the responsibilities of leaders and the community, consent, exploring rape culture, bystander intervention strategies, and more. By the end of SUSIBU we hope for students to identify themselves as pro-social bystanders who have a role in safely intervening in situations that may lead to a harmful outcome such as sexual assault.
Students who participate in a variety of student organizations are required to attend SUSIBU, but we encourage all BU students to attend! As leaders in the BU community, it is essential that we are all a part of the conversation about how we can be pro-social bystanders to prevent violence. SUSIBU is a requirement by President Brown for recognized student organizations accepting funding from the Allocations Board. Each organization must send at least one person with allocation responsibilities to a training session. If you are a member of a student organication accepting funding from Allocations Board and have already attended SUSIBU, another student should attend.
Please be aware that because Step Up Step In BU training is interactive, there is a minimum number of participants necessary for the training to proceed as scheduled. If the minimum number of participants required for the training session has not been met, you will be notified by e-mail in advance that the session has been canceled. We apologize for this inconvenience, and ask that you please sign up for another session. When you are attending a training session, please be sure to arrive on time – late arrivals may have to reschedule to attend another session. Sessions are approximately two hours in length.
Please contact the Sexual Assault Response & Prevention Center (SARP) at 617.353.7227 or firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions or concerns about the SUSIBU training content. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at our training!
SUSIBU FAQs for SAO Student Group Leaders
Do I need to register to attend a SUSIBU training?
- Yes, please register for a SUSIBU session. Due to the interactive nature of SUSIBU, students have given us feedback that sessions with few participants are less engaging and worthwhile. Therefore, we will cancel sessions that do not have enough students registered. If you would like to request a SUSIBU session for your student group, athletic team, department, or group, please visit http://www.bu.edu/sarp/how-we-prevent/.
What do I need to know about SUSIBU if I am in a Student Group Leader?
- The University has required that all student groups seeking access to funding must participate in the SUSIBU program. At minimum, one member of your executive board must attend training in order to access Allocations Board funding. Please note that according to SAO if your stduent group has accessed funds, at least one member of your Executive Board must attend SUSIBU by November 30, 2016 . Please plan well in advance to complete this requirement by registering throughout the semester as sessions become available.
If I am a member of a group but not on the Executive Board, will my attendance fulfill the requirement for the group?
- In general, SAO requires an E-Board member to attend, however they understand not everyone is able to or feels comfortable attending this training. The requirement can be flexible, when needed, as to who attends the training. If you have already attended a SUSIBU training, another E-Board member or student should attend. Please contact the Student Activities Office with specific questions at 617.353.3635 or email@example.com.
If I am a member of multiple Student Groups, can my attendance fulfill the requirement for several groups?
- No, your attendance can only count for one group. Each group should have a unique representative present. If you have already attended a SUSIBU session, another E-board member or stduent should attend.
If I have created a new Student Group for Spring semester will the group be able to complete the SUSIBU training and receive funding from the Allocations Board?
- Yes, SARP holds SUSIBU sessions for newly formed SAO Student Groups at the beginning of Spring semester so that your group will have access to AB funds.
If I am not a part of a student group but still want to go through the SUSIBU training, how do I sign up?
- We would love for you to attend a SUSIBU training! Any BU student is welcome to attend, "Step Up Step In BU (SUSIBU) for BU students". If you would like to coordinate a training for your specific group, please email SARP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I still have more questions, who can I talk to?
Date and Time
Please check the location of the event in the Event Description below.