Step Down in Trauma
Program Description and Target Audience
This conference is designed to prepare RNs and LPNs to assess and treat patients with trauma to all body systems in the non-critical areas.
At the end of this course/conference, participants should be able to:
- Identify Trauma Medical Director & Program Manager and primary functions in facilitating trauma care at Cox.
- Discuss the concept of a team approach to trauma patients
- Identify members of the trauma team.
- Identify complications of trauma that might be seen on the medical surgical units.
- Describe nursing interventions for each of the complications of trauma identified.
- Describe common traumatic neurological injuries.
- Describe common traumatic orthopedic injuries
- Discuss nursing care for pre and post operative orthopedic and neurological injuries.
- Discuss the psychological impact trauma has not only on the patient, but also on the family.
- Describe the process for discharge planning and patient education for the trauma patient.
Angie Curry, RNC, Enterprise Educator, CoxHealth, Springfield, MO
Karen Young, RN, BSN, CNOR, Enterprise Educator, CoxHealth, Springfield, MO
Jason Martin, RN, CEN, EMT-P, Trauma Services, CoxHealth, Springfield, MO
Rozlyn McTeer, RN, CEN, Trauma Services, CoxHealth, Springfield, MO
Larry Cooper, DMin. Chaplin, CoxHealth, Springfield, MO
Speakers subject to change at any time.
7:30-8:00 Team Approach to Trauma Care
8:00-9:00 Delayed Manifestations of Trauma
9:15-10:15 Neurological Trauma
10:15-11:15 Orthopedic Trauma
11:30-12:00 The 2nd Trauma
12:00-12:30 Patient Education/Discharge
Course Length: 5 hours
Certification Length: None
Includes: Course Syllabus
Location: Hulston Cancer Center, 4th Floor, Magnolia/Dogwood Rooms
If you have special needs that need to be addressed, please notify us at least two weeks before this offering. Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate your needs.
CoxHealth Education Center is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Missouri Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
4.5 Contact Hours
This program has been approved by CoxHealth for 4.5 trauma contact hours for CoxHealth employees.
Accreditation approval only refers to this educational activity and does not imply endorsement of any commercial products by CoxHealth or any proprietary entity producing health care goods or services.
Participants will receive statements of credit at the end of the program when all requirements for credit have been met. Satisfactory completion of objectives will occur through program attendance. Therefore contact hours will be given only for hours the participant attends. In order to receive a statement of credit, all participants must sign-in at the registration desk, turn in a completed evaluation form at the end of the program, and demonstrate the skills necessary to complete this course.
Information presented during this activity represents the views and opinions of the presenters and does not necessarily constitute the opinion, endorsement of, or promotion by CoxHealth.
No sponsorship or commercial support has been received for this activity. No Off Label medications or medical devices will be discussed.
All speakers and planning committee members for this activity have indicated they do not have any conflicts of interest or significant financial affiliations with any pharmaceutical or medical device companies. Planning committee members and speakers have created this activity without bias or influence from all external commercial entities.
Prices subject to change at any time.