Actions and Detail Panel
“Stand Up for Science” Teach-In
Sat, April 22, 2017, 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM PDT
UPDATE: This event is now sold out. You can sign up for our waitlist for a seat in Byers Auditorium - or you can come to our adjacent overflow room, which will be open on a first-come, first-served basis. Just come to Genentech Hall and ask for overflow seating.
The "Stand Up For Science" teach-in will feature UCSF faculty members who, during their careers, have pursued research that has clashed with political sentiments. Listen to stories from those experienced in advancing evidence-based health policy when politics interfered or presented seemingly immovable obstacles.
The panel, moderated by Mike McCune, MD, PhD, will include:
- Cherrie B. Boyer, PhD, on her work with the Department of Defense and the allocation of time for preventative health education and necessary funding for the reproductive health needs of military personnel, particularly female recruits
- Esteban Burchard, MD, MPH, on his efforts to raise awareness among policymakers regarding differences between racial and ethnic groups related to genetic testing and the importance of precision medicine
- Andre Campbell, MD, on his efforts to bring the public health problem of guns and trauma to the attention of different stakeholders and policymakers
- Susan Fisher, PhD, on stem cell research and efforts to continue work that the federal government refuses to fund
- James G. Kahn, MD, MPH on evidence and analyses to influence policies for needle exchange, adult male circumcision, and other HIV prevention spending
- Suneil Koliwad, MD, PhD, on his efforts to raise awareness of bench research, its implications for disease, and the importance of funding basic research
- Rebecca Smith-Bindman, MD, on her research on overuse of imaging and educating policymakers about establishing standards of radiology practice
- Tracey Woodruff, PhD, MPH, on why environment matters to health and justice
Breakfast will be available at 8 a.m., with the program starting at 8:30 a.m.
Must RSVP to attend.
Also join us for a rally with the Bay Area life sciences community, to be held outside immediately following the teach-in. RSVP for the rally here.