SQL Saturday 564 - The Lifecycle Approach: Maintenance Problems & Solutions
Database maintenance isn’t a single event; it’s a lifecycle. Aside from the maintenance event itself, there’s also reporting, error management, specialized configs, HA/DR and more. In this full day session, we'll explore the many issues surrounding maintenance and how to solve them in a way that is cohesive and comprehensive. If you’re managing more than one server, come to this session.
Learn how to:
- Deploy maintenance routines to hundreds of servers, effortlessly
- Standardize configuration throughout the enterprise
- Set up custom alerts and reports.
- Manage HA/DR failover scenarios and keep your maintenance intact.
- Minimize the number of jobs
- Tune backups and database integrity checks
For maintenance, you'll learn how to:
- Order index operations to maintain the most important tables first
- Maximize your maintenance window by fine-tuning your routine.
- Handle the most difficult CheckDB scenarios with dynamic custom snapshots, multi-threading and CheckDB offloading.
And for backups specifically, you'll learn to:
- Automate management of failed backups
- Ensure that certificates and encrypted passwords are securely backed up
- Automate configuration changes between HA/DR sites, in case of failover
- Turn trace flags on or off automatically
Sean McCown is a Certified Master in SQL Server 2008 and a SQL Server MVP with 20 years of experience in databases. He is also founder and co-owner of the MidnightDBA.com website, where he records free SQL Server training videos and co-hosts the popular web show DBAs@Midnight.
Jen McCown is CEO of MinionWare, LLC; a Microsoft Certified Master for SQL Server; and an independent consultant. She is Senior Editor at MidnightDBA.com, where she creates training videos, the DBAs at Midnight webshow, blogs, reviews, and podcasts. Jen is a member, volunteer, and speaker in NTSSUG, PASS, and the PASS Women in Technology virtual chapter.
08:00 AM - 08:30 AM - Check In
08:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Seminar Training
12:30 PM - 01:30 PM - Lunch and Networking
01:30 PM - 04:30 PM - Seminar Training