Southwest RDC Safe Routes to School Workshop
Onward to Implementation of SRTS and Active Community Strategies
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) and other active community plans help communities identify comprehensive strategies that when implemented over time can have a positive impact on students’ activity level and the community. However, understanding your role, cultivating community support, and financial resources to implement can leave many plans on the shelf. We hope to accomplish three things during the workshop:
- Identify up 3 activities from the plans and create a work plan (with expected time line, roles, and potential resource) to move the project forward
- Learn from local and regional SRTS accomplishments
- Learn about strategic events and demonstration projects that can build support for local implementation
While this workshop is not a magic wand for funding (that would be nice), we will explore other funding sources besides the highly competitive. We will also have a space to learn from you peers in the region.
9:30 - Opening
Share up to 3 activities you have implemented from your completed plan OR (for those with Plans coming) up to 3 SRTS activities you have interested.
Principles of Implementation
- How to fund big and small ideas
- Strategic Events and Demonstration Projects
- Building Community Support
- Integrating Projects
Prioritizing and Implementation of your Plan – Get ready to roll up your sleeves! Participants will identify up to 3 strategies from completed plans they want to implement. We will provided guiding questions and have coaches in the room. Representatives from communities without plans will join a different planning team to provide the experience to learn.
Report Implementation Priorities