HTML5 DevDay Davao is a one-day developer event and hackathon hosted by the SMART Developer Network (SMART DevNet), the developer community for Smart Communications, Inc.'s technology platform and, the University of Southeastern Philippines (USEP). We're inviting the existing and aspiring HTML5 enthusiasts to create an HTML5 web or mobile app in the afternoon after a morning of HTML5 talks from HTML5 practitioners.
HTML5 DevDay Davao is open to all developers especially those based in Davao and in Mindanao. This is a FREE event, no charge for admission, but registration is required.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE EVENT
1. Register via the Eventbrite page. http://html5devdaydavao.eventbrite.com
2. Join our Facebook group at http://facebook.com/groups/smartdevnet to get more info about the event as these are announced.
HOW TO JOIN THE HACKATHON
1. Form a team of 2-4 members in advance. If you don't have a team going to the hackathon, you are encouraged to find other hackathoners who don't have any teams yet. If you still don't have a team just before the hackathon begins, the organizers wil try to find you a team. A team must have a minimum of two members.
2. Join our Facebook Group at https://facebook.com/groups/smartdevnet/ - we will be announcing a Hackathon Signup page here where you will need to provide details of a) your app name and description, b) the team name, and c) your team members.
3. Get ready with your ideas for an HTML5 app. Teams are allowed to have pre-work. You can also start working on your HTML5 app on the day of the hackathon itself.
4. At the end of the hackathon, all the groups registered for the hackathon will need to present their app via a live demo. The order of the presentations will be drawn by lots. Teams who are not registered cannot do a live demo and will not be eligible for any of the prizes.
5. We encourage everyone to join a team - even if you registered just to observe, you are strongly encouraged to be a participant-observer.
0930-0940am Opening Remarks
0940-0945am Welcome, Let's Get Started by Paul Pajo, SMART DevNet
0945-1015am HTML5 Basics by Ronald Ramos, SMART
1015-1045am Great Websites with HTML5 by Eric Su, Piclyf.com
1100-1130am Cross Platform HTML5 Mobile Development by Bob Reyes, Mozilla PH
1130-1200pm Cross-Platform iOS/Android HTML5 Transitions on Tablet Tips & Tricks,
by Dan Delima, Google
0130-0145pm SMART DevNet: The Elevator Pitch by Jim Ayson, SMART DevNet
0200-0215pm Developer Story: SMART API application by Maui Millan (SMART / Mobile Tao)
0215-0230pm Hackathon Rules by Paul Pajo, SMART DevNet
- The HTML5 DevDay Davao is open to all developers of all ages.
- At the end of the hackathon proper, teams will do a live demo of their HTML5 apps.
- The app must use HTML5 and optionally the SMART APIs either as concept and/or prototype
- Teams will undergo final judging by presenting their project to a panel of judges who will identify the winners.
- All decisions of judges are final. Scores will not be made public.
- Prizes will be awarded to the winning teams for the best use of HTML5 and the SMART APIs: We have awesome phones + other awesome stuff for the winners!
HTML5 APP DEMO
- Teams are expected to bring their own laptops. Internet access will be provided at the venue.
- The order of presentation will be determined by drawing lots.
- Each presenter is given three (3) minutes to explain the entry and two (2) minutes to answer questions during the Q&A.
- The app must be in HTML5 & functionality is preferred
- An App that people want - 25% (convince us market NEED for your app)
- An App whose time has come - 25% (convince us of the app's TIMING)
- An App that's clever (really!) - 25% (convince us of the app's INGENUITY)
- An App that's properly mashed-up - 25% (convince us of the app's INTEGRATION)
- Did we tell you we have a prize for apps that connect to SMART APIs?
The team warrants that the entry is their original idea and does not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any third party. Participants are responsible for securing appropriate protection for any Intellectual Property (IP) contributed by the team members or their parent institutions. In the absence of such protection, participants should restrict themselves to non-enabling disclosures of their IP. Entries that have won major awards (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in any international, national or school competitions cannot be entered. Wireless service applications that are already in commercial production may not be entered. Smart Communications, Inc. (SMART) & University of Southeastern Philippines (USEP) shall not be liable to any participant for commercializing ideas that have been independently developed but are similar in concept to submitted entries.
Participants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Mechanics and by the decisions of the organizers and/or the judges, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this contest. By joining the contest, the participants agree to waive any right to claim ambiguity or error in these Official Mechanics. Except where prohibited by law, the winners consent to the use of their name and/or likeness by SMART and USEP for advertising and publicity purposes without compensation.
Each participant agrees that SMART and USEP and its parent companies, agents, representatives, affiliates, and employees will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from his participation in the contest, or resulting from the acceptance, possession, or use of these prizes, nor in any way are responsible for any warranty, representation, or guaranty, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to the quality, condition, or fitness.
Each participant agrees that SMART and USEP and its parent company, agents, representatives, subsidiaries, affiliates, and employees will have no liability whatsoever for any injury, loss, or damages of any kind resulting from the use of the entry, unless such entry has been formally offered by SMART and USEP to the public as a service or a product. Each participant warrants that it holds the necessary intellectual property right(s) over the entry, undertakes sole responsibility for any adverse or infringement claim(s) thereon, and further holds Smart and USEP, its directors, officers, employees, agents, parent company subsidiaries and affiliates free from any liability arising out of such adverse or infringement claim(s) including claim(s) for damages.
When & Where
The SMART Developer Network (also known as SMART DevNet) is SMART Communications' developer community program, targeted at developers on desktop and mobile platforms interested in using SMART's technology platforms such as network tools and APIs.
We promote general awareness of mobile apps development and "technopreneurship" thorough related groups like the IdeaSpace Foundation.
We also strive to be a catalyst for fostering a vibrant developer community in the Philippines by organizing our own developer events as well as sponsoring other developer groups' events and meetups. We believe a good local developer community is an integral part of a healthy tech ecosystem.
Members of SMART DevNet can participate in events and meet ups, interact with a developer community, join hackathons and developer competitions, attend tech bootcamps, and have the option of engaging in business opportunities with SMART.
The SMART Developer Network is open to all interested individuals throughout the Philippines.
For information, email email@example.com or visit our social media touchpoints: