Do sharks sleep? Find out for yourself when you spend the night at Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies located in Gatlinburg, Tennessee! After a fun-filled night including a dive show, scavenger hunt and fish printing activity, drift off to sleep in the Shark Lagoon Tunnel while the sharks keep a watchful eye on you! The following day, you’re on your own to explore the Aquarium.
Cost: $199 per person
- Round-trip transportation from Fredericksburg, VA to Gatlinburg, TN via coach bus
- Various activities including a warm-up game, dive show, scavenger hunt, and Creature Feature
- Late night pizza snack and continental breakfast at the Feeding Frenzy
- Certificate of Participation
- Admission to the Aquarium the next morning
This is a sample schedule. Activities and schedules are subject to change.
11:00am Departure from Fredericksburg, VA commuter lot located at Salem Church Road & Plank Road (one meal stop along the way)
7:30-8:15pm Approximate arrival, store gear in classroom and bathroom break
8:15-8:45pm Meet in classroom for introductions, rules and warm up game
8:45-9:15pm Dive Show at Stingray Bay
9:15-10:15pm Pizza snack in Feeding Frenzy
10:15-10:45pm Late night activity in the classroom
10:45-11:45pm Sleep With the Sharks Scavenger Hunt, parents must remain with students
11:45-12:00pm Meet in classroom to go over answers to Scavenger Hunt
12:00-12:30am Set up camp in tunnel and get ready for bed
12:30am Lights out!
7:00am Wake up!
7:00-7:45am Get ready for the day and store gear
7:45-8:15am Continental breakfast in the Feeding Frenzy
8:15-8:45am Creature Feature
8:45-9:00am Certificate distribution, wrap up
9:00am – 2:00pm Aquarium and gift shop open, free to explore the entire aquarium on your own; on your own for lunch at the Feeding Frenzy
2:30pm Depart Gatlinburg, TN
10:00pm Approximate arrival in Fredericksburg, VA (one meal stop along the way)
Down payment is $50 for each attendee and must be paid by December 30, 2016 to reserve your spot. Final payment is due by March 1, 2017. A payment plan is available.
What to Bring:
- Spending money for three meals (two pit stops and lunch while at the Aquarium), gift shop, etc.
- Plain t-shirt or pillowcase for Fish Printing activity. Fish Printing involves fabric paint, campers should wear clothes that can get messy.
- A few snacks for the road and activities to keep you occupied. Please note: Outside food and drinks, flashlights, battery-powered/electrical items such as CD players and hand-held video game devices are NOT permitted in the Aquarium. However, these items can be stored on the bus.
- Sleeping bag, something warm to sleep in, pillow and toiletry items. The Shark Lagoon Tunnel can get quite chilly at night, please be sure you bring warm pajamas.
- Emergency numbers for all campers and medical release information.
- Student(s) must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Adults cannot leave the premises overnight unless cleared by aquarium personnel ahead of time.
- Please let us know if any special needs, food allergies, or medical conditions require accommodation. Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies is not authorized to dispense medication of any kind to anyone in our group.
- Air mattresses are only allowed to accommodate those with back problems. Please let us know if you’re requesting to bring an air mattress as soon as possible.
Please contact Jacqueline Sullivan at email@example.com with any questions.