San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Slavic Soul Party is coming to Somerville for an all out Slavic Soul Fest! Throbbing funk grooves, fiery Balkan brass, Gypsy accordion wizardry, and virtuoso jazz chops make Slavic Soul Party! NYC’s official #1 brass band for BalkanSoul GypsyFunk. SSP! has created an acoustic mash-up of Balkan and Gypsy sounds with North American music, weaving the gospel, techno, funk, dub, jazz, and Latin influences of New York’s neighborhoods seamlessly into a Balkan brass setting. SSP!’s music has won the ear of fans and musicians on both sides of the Atlantic, and their tunes have been learned by Serbian brass stars Boban Markovic Orkestar and New Orleans funk sensations Galactic, among others.
There will be music from Boston's top slavic influenced bands to accompany Slavic Soul Party and Cuisine en Locale is whipping some amazing Slavic Soul Food!
Tickets are $15/Advanced or $20/Door
Slavic Soul Party (http://www.slavicsoulparty.com/main.html)
Somerville Symphony Orkestar (http://www.ssoband.com)
Cocek! Brass Band (http://www.cocekbrassband.com/)
Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band (http://ensmb.com)
(This event is all ages, but 21+ to drink)
Here are a few housekeeping notes to make the whole evening even more excellent for everyone:
- It is fine to park in the lot across the stree from the hall, on Highland Ave! Any spot but a Zipcar spot is fair game.
- On street parking is also available, please read the signs.
- There is a second lot behind our building, off of Central, but sometimes the church downstairs parks it up while they have services and we have to go get them to move, which they do, but it can take a few minutes... well, basically, you take your chances.
- We will open the bar and start serving food and drinks in our very unrestaurant like manner at 5pm.
- We have planned a delicious food menu of vegetarian, meat and sweet options and we do appreciate you dining with us, as do the farmers who provide all of our ingredients. When you eat with us you eat local.
- We will be operating in a cafeteria style with no table service. Please queue in the ballroom to order and pick up your food and then seat yourself in the Lounge.
- Food and drinks will be sold from separate areas.
- We do take reservations for large groups of 8 or more, call us at 617-285-0167 to reserve a table in the Lounge.
- We appreciate your patience should you have wait at all to order or to receive your food, especially during the busiest opening moments. We will do our best to keep up. We make all of our food from scratch and it is not "fast", but trust me, it's worth the wait. Thanks for understanding.
- The bar takes cash and credit cards of all kind and is stocked with an excellent selection of local beer and cider, wine and mixed drinks and cocktails as well as Maine Root Sodas. Ask to see our beer and specialty drinks list!
- Please print out and bring your tickets. We will also have a list of everyone who bought tickets, but printing them and bringing them will save everyone a lot of time during checkin.
Again, dinner starts at 5pm. Music starts at 8pm.
The menu is splendid! Get ready to dig into some Slavic Soul Food:
Pierogis- the classic dumpling of Poland. sweet cheese, garlic potato, sweet potato or sauerkraut with yogurt and applesauce 3/$8
Galumpki- cabbage leaves stuffed with grains and meat with tomato sauce or mushroom with gravy $4/apiece
Haluski- buttered cabbage and egg noodles $4/scoop. Add Kielbasa!
Borscht- beet soup with yogurt! $6/bowl
Get here hungry- we'll be ready
When & Where
Somerville Symphony Orkestar
The Somerville Symphony Orkestar (http://www.ssoband.com) is an all-original band that plays International Party Music. Formed in 2009, the SSO has been constantly gaining notice. With the success of their first album, the SSO has shared the stage with the Rebirth Brass Band, Slavic Soul Party, Melvin Seal and the Gerry Garcia Band, and Jack Sonni (from the Dire Straits) among others. The SSO beats Balkan music, Klezmer, Funk, and Punk into a funk-punky pulp. The complex arrangements reign in the chaos only to explode into equal parts mosh-pit and horah