To purchase a ticket for one of the two sessions left, click here and choose the right date.
Sketchnotes are a visual form of note-taking that can include drawings, various lettering sizes and styles, color, icons, arrows, boxes and more — whatever works for you. And the best part is that you don’t have to be a creative genius to do it. It’s called Sketchnoting, not Art School!
This class has three sessions. Students may take just one session but are encouraged to take all three of the series as they build upon each other. Those with a visual arts background will still benefit as a certain looseness is needed for rapid sketching, which we will be covering in this class.
We will be listening to RadioLab WNYC as our source material for sketchnote practice.
Session 1 - Intro to doodling
Tuesday, January 17 at 1:00-2:30PM
- Loosening up
- Creating a repertoire of characters
- Words words words
- The basics of layout
- Conquering the big white page
Session 2 - Sketchnotes: Metaphor & Memory
Tuesday, January 24, 1:00-2:30PM
- Hows and whys of sketchnotes
- See what's being said with humor
- Loosening up and laying it out
- Hands on practice
Session 3 - The Listening Queu: How to hear the big picture
Tuesday, January 31, 1:00-2:30PM
- How to triage a conversation
- Balancing words and pictures
- Cleaning and refining your sketchnotes
- Producing a finished product
Everyone will need to take:
- Sketchbook [preferably 8x11]
- Pencils [mechanical suggested, but not required]
- Eraser [white gum]
- Alexis will be bringing the charcoal, newsprint paper, reams of printer paper and crayons.
About your Instructor
Alexis Finch is the pencil behind GraphiteMind
, specializing sketchnoting the usually opaque and dry topics of technology and the sciences. She has been sketching, painting, blowing glass, sculpting and throwing pots for the past 16yrs. Alexis' background is in Human Factors and User Experience for Fortune 500 companies. She used graphic facilitation to keep focus groups focused before moving into sketchnoting.
Have questions about Sketchnotes, Infographics and Graphic Facilitation?
Contact [ classes ] PARISOMA