Join us at our Silicon Beach Fest - Downtown edition, with an ephasis on downtown's growing tech scene at Cross Campus new downtown location (Wilshire/Flower) before it opens, during LA Innovation Week. Meet major players focusing on downtown tech: VCs, investors, social, and the broad range of startups that are located downtown. Plus we will highlight tech industries located downtown including fashion, hardware, and maker tech, etc. and what universities like USC are doing related to Silicon Beach.
This event is part of the second annual LA Innovation Week, Oct 2-22, established to highlight all of the amazing, creative and innovative and entrepreneurial things happening all over our region.
9a - 5p. Registration open. Limited complimentary breakfast items provided by LAbite restaurants 9a-11a
10a-10:15a Introductions and Opening Remarks
- Kevin Winston, Digital LA, CEO, Founder
- Dan Dato, Cross Campus Founder
10:15a - 11a Welcome to Downtown LA
Leaders in downtown LA tech will provide an overview of the tech scene: Major investors and VCs, startups, coworking spaces, LA City, USC, community organizations, universities, etc.
- Moderator: Jay Tucker, USC ICTM
- Nancy Perlman, LA Mayors Office, Innovation and Technology Fellow
- Kevin Lew, Bixel Exchange, Director
- Oscar Menjivar, Teens Exploring Technology @UrbanTXT
- Audrey Bellis, Startup DTLA Founder; Grid 110, Co-Founder
- Rebecca McLauchlan, Rhubarb Studios, Co-Founder
- Karen North, USC Annenberg, Professor of Communications, Director Digital Media APOC
- Nick Griffin, Downtown Center Business Improvement District, Director of Economic Development
11a-12p Meet the Investors, Incubators and Accelerators
Meet Silicon Beach Investors and Accelerators; some are located or interested in downtown startups
- Vishal Lugani, Greycroft Partners, Senior Associate
- Stephen Kane, Grid 110 (fashion accelerator), Chair
- Ian Gardner, LA Cleantech Incubator, CSIO
- Howard Marks, Start Engine (crowdfunding accelerator), Co-Founder
- Noramay Cadena, Make in LA (hardware accelerator), Co-Founder
12p-12:20p Welcome: Chris Rico, LA County Economic Dev Corp, Director of Innovation; LA Innovation Week
12:20-1p Quick Talk: Three Key Points You Need to Know
10-minute case studies that each have 3 key insights about tech, startups, and more
Moderator: Adam Chapnick, Bixel Exchange, Advisor; formerly Indiegogo
- Steve A Smith Jr, SharkReach, Founder and CEO. SharkReach is an influencer-owned startup that gives stock options to select influencers to promote branding campaigns. SharkReach worked with Univeral Pictures on the social strategy for Straight Outta Compton. SharkReach announced it will go public on NASDAQ in October $SHRK.
- Hope Horner, Lemonlight Media, Founder / CEO. Three things you need to know about telling your story. Lemonlight creates sizzle videos for startups, Kickstarter campaigns, and companies. They created the Silicon Beach Fest summer sizzle video. @lemonlightmedia
- Arif Ansari, USC Marshall, Associate Professor of Data Sciences will discuss 3 things investors and startups need to know about big data. He does big data and analytics research on consumer data at USC.
- Rachel Payne, CEO, Co-Founder, Prizma FEM Inc., video recommendation engine, just graduated Disney Accelerator Demo Day and won Siemer Summit Video award. @FEMinc
1 - 2p Lunch on your own at nearby restaurants: 800 Degrees, Public School, Spear, 888 Wilshire, Dublin's
Visit Startup Village tables and Networking.
PAID VIPs: Lunch at a nearby restaurant, venue TBD.
1p Lunch Roundtable: Why? with Vince Lynch of Synkio @ Bottega Louise, 700 Grand. Understanding the core truth at the centrer of the business will make all the difference between success and failure. Vince Lynch leads this open table lunch chat where we'll attempt to isolate the reason for building anything. Why do you actually do what you do? If the reason for building your business is an integral truth that resonates with your team then you'll find the superhuman strength required to win.
1:30p Downtown Standard Rooftop Photo Opp with SBF surfboard. You can order appetizers, drinks
2p-2:45p Downtown Startups panel: Meet startups of various industries with a footprint downtown
- Moderator: Amanda Coolong, IBM Cloud Ecosystem Development, Worldwide Womens Initatives
- David Hsu, NationBuilder, Senior Communications Strategist
- Ava Bromberg, The REEF, SVP Bus. Dev. The REEF fka LA Mart includes Maker City LA
- Field Garthwaite, IRIS.TV, CEO. IRIS.TV is the first in-stream video recommendation engine
- Carolyn Yashari Becher, HopSkipDrive,COO. Ridsharing for kids
- Mike Pusateri, Bent Pixels, CEO. MCN social video management tools
- Justine Lassoff, CEO, LoveGoodly. Subscription eco-box with style, beauty, wellness products
3p-4p My Startup Story: 4 startup founders tell their 15 minute inspiring startup stories
- Cauri Jaye, Rhubarb Studios, Co-Founder. @_rhubarbstudios
- Elvina Beck, PodShare, Founder, CEO. Relocated from Hollywood to Downtown. @podshare
- Brian Foley, Buddytruk, Founder and CEO. On demand truck delivery; just received investment from the Winklevoss twins, and has expanded from LA to Austin and Chicago. @buddytruk
- BakeSpace, Babette Pepaj, Founder and CEO. Recipe and cookbook app / advertising @bakespace
4p-4:45p Fashion Tech
It's LA Fashion Week! Meet Startups in Fashion, who'll discuss how they founded and built their startups, leverage technology, build their brand and acquire customers, and do marketing and social media.
Moderator: Corinne Crockett, Thrive Market, Director of Marketing
- David Oh, FabFitFun, Senior VP Growth @FabFitFun
- Katie Johnson, Carbon38, CEO
- Ivka Adam, Iconery, Co-Founder. Works with several downtown LA jewelry companies. @iconery
- Jennie Yoon, Casetify, Director, Business Development (Global). Casetify is an Instagram photo wrapped phone case and Apple watch band. Part of Grid 110 accelerator. @casetify.
- Azmara Asefa, Owner / Designer. 3D printed and laser cut jewelry and accessoires. @azmaraasefa
- Brian Garofalow, Yoshirt, Co-Founder. App to design single T-shirts with your photos @yoshirtinc
5-6p Startup Showcase
5 startups will pitch before judges, who'll select a winner.
- Chris Sheng, SimpleTux, Founder. Online tux rental. Part of Grid 110 accelerator. @simpletux
- Rumala Sheikhani, Castifi. Founder CEO. Online booking and payment for actors
- Ray Christian, Textpert, Founder CEO. Texting advice app. @textpert_app
- Kabira Stokes, Isidore Electronics Recycling, CEO. Recycles electronics with back-to-workforce ees
- Todd Terrazas, Brainitch, Founder and CEO. Localized messaging platform @brainitchUSA
- Josh Javaheri, Lucky Day, Founder. Mobile app game, USC
- Brad Schwartz, Strategic Law and SLP Ventures, Managing Partner of
- Ben Stapleton, LA Clean Tech Incubator, VP Operations
- Cam Kashani, Bixel Exchange Advisor
- James Bottom, USC Blackstone Launchpad, Project Director
- Gray Bright, Host of the Tomorrow Show, the late night comedy talk show for tech
- Rachel Horning, Startups in the Sky, Co-Founder
- Cross Campus will provide 2 months open desk membership to winner; others get 1 month
- Surf Air provides one round trip ticket on executive Surf Air flight to California destinations
- Strategic Law will provide $5K value of legal services
- Digital LA provides 2 comp general admission passes for Silicon Beach Fest June 2016.
6-7p Networking Cocktails at Standard Downtown Rooftop Pool
Regular and VIP attendes are inivted to the Downtown Standard rooftop pool to network and take tons of pics by the pool. Cash bar on your own. Arrive by 7p, cuz it's $20 cover after that.
6p-8p Networking Cocktails at 800 Degrees Pizza
Regular and VIP attendees are invited to the 800 Degrees pizza bar at its new downtown location, on the first floor of 800 Wilshire Blvd. Regular and VIP attendees are invited to connect with each other; you can order drinks and custom pizza or salads on your own (not covered by the fest).
6-8p VIP Cocktails at Takami
VIP attendees are invited to enjoy stunning views of downtown LA from the patio bar of Takami, across the street from Cross Campus Downtown. VIP attendees can show their SBF badges to enjoy cocktails (one complimentary drink ticket) and complimentary appetizers.
6p-10p TechZulu Tech Crawl (optional, requires separate registration):
Walking tour and cocktails hosted by downtown companies starting at Cross Campus, then going to Rhubarb Studios, NationBuilder, and more. If you are interested in hosting cocktails and appetizers for 50-100 attendees on the tour, contact email@example.com
- Regular attendees get half off the TechZulu TechCrawl. Link provided after you register
- VIP attendees and speakers can attend the TechZulu TechCrawl for free. Link will be emailed.
10p+ After-Party at Public School
Join us for drinks, shuffleboard and Jenga at Public School (Flower and Sixth).
Visit the demo tables at breaks during the fest. Demo tables are $500 and include a 6' table and access to power. Register above.
- SNACKS: Sample snacks provided by Quest Bar #GetPumpkin and more vendors. If u would like to provide some healthy snacks, beverages, water, email firstname.lastname@example.org with DOWNTOWN as subject
- Cross Campus, take a break in the Cross Campus lounge area, to experience what working here is like
- Seateroo: app lets you swap seats with other ticketed airline passengers @seateroo
- Swatch Box: Subscription base home decor accents @TheSwatchBox
- Sundae Electronics, cutting edge electronics. @sundaelectronic
- Massages: Complimentary massages by Fremont College – Sports and Rehabilitation Therapy Program
- ElemenTerra, USC VR company world building UGC experience with motion controls @ElemenTerraVR
- AIO Robotics: see 3D printing from this USC Viterbi alum startup which won the SBF 2014 Startup Showcase
- Kluge Interactive does branding, web design, and graphics for SBF and other startups and companies
- Rhubarb Studios: Drones display; Rhubarb has drone building workshops very month
- Petnostics: Use your cell phone to monitor the health of your pet via urine analysis strips. @petnostics
- Instacart lets you order groceries and food downtown! Use Code: 'SBFDTLA' for $10 off + 1 free delivery in the coupon code box at Instacart.com or follow this direct link. Code for new users only, >$35 purchase, excludes alcohol. Expires 10/31/15.
- UrbanSitter: Use our code VIPDIGITALLA for $50 credit at this babysitter on demand site.
Redeem here: www.urbansitter.com/promo/gift
PARKING is not validated or comped. Building parking is expensive, so try...
Luxe Valet app. First time users enter code forDIGITALLA for $15 off your first park. Make a request through the app for the alleyway vic 817 Wilshire Blvd before you start your drive. Upon arrival, pull into the alley to be greeted by your Luxe valet, who will be pictured in the app. When you're ready to leave, put in your request 15-20 minutes beforehand and have your car brought to you anywhere in Downtown. Or select the Drive Home option to have you and your car driven home safely at the end of the night. Happy parking!
SBF DOWNTOWN BOARD
- Kevin Winston, Digital LA
- Dan Dato, Cross Campus, Founder
- Cauri Jaye, Rhubarb Studios
SPONSORS: Email email@example.com with SPONSOR as the subject to sponsor at $500, $1K, $2K, $5K, $10K.
LA Innovation Week was establisehd by LACEDC to highlight all of the amazing, creative and innovative and entrepreneurial things happening all over our region.
LUNCH is not officially included with admission at the regular ticket price, although there are limited snacks and other promo giveaways.
NO Refunds Substitutions or Exchanges.
Digital LA is the largest digital networking group based in LA, reaching more than 80,000 professionals weekly via its newsletter and social media. Digital LA organizes weekly panels and mixers for digital professionals, including startup CEOs, VCs and investors, entertainment including Hollywood movie and TV studios, music labels, agencies, video games, VFX, social media, digital advertising, developers, designers, marketing and and more. Digital LA is the founder of Silicon Beach Fest, the original and largest multi-day startup / entertainment conference. Follow @DigitalLA. Digital LA has been recognized by Forbes and the LA Times as keeping LA's tech community together via its fun and friendly events.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.