When children’s hands are moving, their minds are learning!
Why learn sign language?
The Benefits of Signing with Children
In addition to the fun you will have discovering a new and enriching language together, research and experience has shown many benefits of teaching your child to sign:
- Enhances Baby’s Memory. “Sign and Play” classes and Signing Time DVD’s simultaneously reinforce four key learning styles — Auditory, Visual, Kinesthetic, and Spatial — making it easier for your child to learn.
- Reduces Toddlers’ Frustration. Toddlers can learn basic sign language vocabulary quickly and easily from the “Sign and Play” classes, DVDs, books and flashcards. The “terrible twos” aren’t so terrible when your child can communicate what he wants and you can understand him!
- Boosts Baby’s IQ. Research funded by the National Institute of Health showed that a group of children who had signed as infants scored higher on IQ tests than the group of children who did not learn signs as infants.
- Enhances the Bond Between You and Your Baby. Being able to communicate with your baby before she develops speech is a remarkable experience. Having a “window” into her little mind strengthens the parent-child bond.
- Benefits Children with Special Needs. Children with special needs may have difficulty with speech. Signing Time has been instrumental in making the miracle of two-way communication possible for many of these children. The Signing Time Series features many children with special needs, thus reinforcing inclusion, positive self-image, and acceptance.