In recognition of Sickle Cell Awareness Month, please join us for a series of programs designed just for you. The first program will feature experts from The James followed by programs highlighting techniques you can use to enhance your well-being and to help manage pain, stress and other symptoms related to your disease.
Below is a list of the topics for each date. Lunch will be provided.
- Sept. 13 - What’s New with Sickle Cell Treatment (BistrOH Conf. Rm.) Learn about the latest advancements in the treatment of Sickle Cell Disease along with new services available at The James to improve your care.
- Oct. 11 - Guided Imagery for Wellness (Wallace Auditorium) Learn how to use simple guided imagery techniques to improve stress, anxiety, and pain responses.
- Nov. 8 - The Art of Savoring: Using Journaling & Art to Express Emotions (Wallace Auditorium) You will complete an art/journal exercise as you learn how to use art and writing as coping tools. CANCELED FOR NOVEMBER 8.
- Dec. 13 - Yoga and Meditation (BistrOH Conf. Rm.)You will be guided through gentle movements, simple breath practices and meditation that can be done in a chair and may help to manage anxiety and pain.
- Jan. 10 - Using Music to Support Healthy Sleep Habits (Wallace Auditorium) You will be introduced to music-based strategies for supporting healthy sleep habits through music exercises designed to reduce mental noise and enhance relaxation as part of an effective bedtime routine. No prior music experience required.
Parking: Free visitor parking is available.
When & Where
Ohio State University Hospital East
181 Taylor Ave.
JamesCare for Life
JamesCare for Life programs are designed to empower cancer survivors and their primary caregivers with new skills, knowledge and a sense of community.
Class offerings focus on introducing techniques, strategies and modes of expression intended to improve the quality of life of persons affected by a cancer diagnosis. Many participants have found these tools valuable and have successfully incorporated them into their everyday lives.
Programs are introductory in nature and offered free of charge. For more information, please call JamesCare for Life at 614-293-6428 or 1-800-293-5066 or visit www.cancer.osu.edu/go/support. Pre-registration is required for all programs.