You are invited to a special screening of the new documentary film, Seventh-Gay Adventists: A film about faith on the margins. This film follows the stories of three gay and lesbian Adventists as they struggle to be true to themselves and their faith. This intersection of faith and sexuality is at the core of many political, religious, and family conversations today, and this film offers viewers the opportunity to experience the spiritual journey of a gay person of faith. This film isn't about changing anyone's beliefs; it's just about listening to a demographic that is talked about and at but seldom with in our church.
This screening will be held at the Lankmark Century Centre Theater at 2828 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL. We're thankful to the Marin Foundation for helping coordinate this screening.
Although this is a topic that is often highly charged in any church, this film's approach to simply share stories is being affirmed. Here are a few endorsements:
- "Whatever one's position regarding homosexuals and the church may be, this film is worth seeing because it candidly probes issues with real human faces and stories." - Dr. Roy Gane, professor, Andrews Seminary
- "The film is superb--a poignant and profound experience beyond any I've seen on the subject." - Chris Blake, author and professor, Union College
- "The movie, which simply tells stories rather than taking an advocacy stance, is powerful. It can, I believe, do much to make Adventists more compassionate in this controversial area of lifestyle." - Dr. William Johnsson, retired editor The Adventist Review
- "It is a movie every Seventh-day Adventist ought to see." Spectrum
- "This film not only gives a small window into some intimate stories that are often reduced to theological abstractions, but provides a platform for stories that attest to the importance of denominational heritage and the resiliency of some LGBT people of faith striving to claim a place in that heritage amidst hindrances." ~Andrew Marin, author "Love Is An Orientation"
There will be a discussion following the film moderated by Andrew Marin, author of Love is an Orientation and the founder of the Chicago-based Marin Foundation. We'll have the special treat at this screening of having Dr. George & Fern Babcock, whose daughter is in the film and who are long-time leaders in the Adventist educational system with us as well.
You can learn more about the film here: http://www.sgamovie.com/trailer/
Stephen & Daneen (co-producers/directors)