Please join Sephardic Jews in DC for our first Shabbat dinner event of 2017!
Part of the proceeds from this Shabbat will be donated to the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS) and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in support of their important work. All are welcome to attend but please note we only have a limited number of dinner tickets.
Sephardic Jews in DC stands with refugees and immigrants. Many Jewish and Sephardic families came to this country as refugees and there are still many Jews (and many others) that would be detrimentally affected due to the Executive Order banning foreign nationals from Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Libya, Somalia, Syria, and Sudan from entering the country.
In addition, we will be featuring dishes from these countries to highlight the historical indigenous Jewish communities from the region. If you're interested in getting involved or helping in any way please contact me at email@example.com.
Also if you have any dietary requirements please email me to let me know. The food will be kosher and meat.
Sample Preliminary Menu (Subject to change):
First Course - Appetizers
- Motzi - Pita Bread and Yemenite Malawah (flat bread) accompanied with homemade zchug (hot sauce), chopped eggs, tomatoes and toasted fenugreek seed dip
- Persian Kashk-e-Bademjan - Eggplant flavored dip
- Chraime - Libyan style fish in a spicy tomato based sauce
- Syrian style fattoush salad - chopped vegetables with pomegrante molasses and sumac
- Homemade hummus and muhamarra
Second Course - Soup
- Marrak Kubbe Adom - Iraqi beet flavored soup with meat dumplings
- Vegatarian lentil soup
Third Course - Main Meal
- Koosa Mahshi - Syrian style stuffed zucchini with beef in a sweet and sour tomato sauce
- Iraqi style turkey meatballs in a tomato sauce with green beans
- Syrian style meatballs in Sour Cherry Sauce (Kabab Karaz)
- Tahdig - saffron infused Persian rice
- Warab Enab - Sudanese style stuffed grape leaves
Fourth course - Dessert
- Persian style saffron and rosewater infused ice cream (parve)
- Persian chickpea and baklava cookies
- Cut fruit
Date and Time
Flats of Dupont Circle Party Room
2000 N Street Northwest, Washington, DC, United States (Party Room - Floor P)