This is a class specifically geared as an introduction to the wonderful world of sculptural metalworking and welding. Students will learn how to use a MIG welder and various supporting tools (clamps, grinders, sanders, etc.) to produce sculptural art pieces of their own design. Kit and instructor-directed projects are also available if students would like a less independent class experience.
The goals of this class will be to encourage students to think of metalworking as a new and expansive creative outlet, and to train students to the point where they can weld on Asylum equipment safely and independently.
Students will bring a flannel shirt, leather gloves and safety glasses to class. Students will purchase raw materials from the instructor as needed for their projects.
Ecco is a graduate of the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. She's a local artist with a passion for steel, specializing in creating wearable metal accessories (like the horns in her picture, or a set of wings for her back) and designing static and kinetic sculptures. Her previous work has included flapping pterodactyls, moth sculptures, a rideable dragon, and several other pieces.
Session 1: Sunday, March 3, 2:00-5:30PM
Session 2: Sunday, March 10, 2:00-5:30PM
Session 3: Sunday, March 17, 2:00-5:30PM
Session 4: Sunday, March 24, 2:00-5:30PM
When & Where
Artisan's Asylum, Inc.
Artisan's Asylum is a 40,000 sq. ft. member-based non-profit community fabrication center located in Somerville MA, dedicated to making creativity a way of life. Our mission is to support and promote the teaching, learning and practicing of design & fabrication by offering:
* Shared design and fabrication tools and equipment in our various community workshops.
* A large range of publicly-accessible classes offered by local artisans.
* Various monthly membership structures allowing access to our facility.
* On-site studio and storage rentals allowing members to create and store projects on-site.
* Hosting local craft-related events to help encourage DIY culture and community craftsmanship.