Actions and Detail Panel
Screenwriting & Filmmaking Intensive - Summer 2017
Sun, Jul 16, 2017, 12:00 PM – Sat, Aug 5, 2017, 3:00 PM PDT
3 Week Screenwriting & Filmmaking Intensive
July 15 – August 5, 2017 Monday – Friday 9:15 am – 7:30 pm Saturday 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
TheFilmSchool’s Summer Intensive is a journey of self-discovery taught by current industry leaders. This program is designed to help you unleash your unique storytelling voice and give you the tools to take your script from page to screen. A tour de force in screenwriting and directing.
To be successful in the digital age, writers and filmmakers must not only write exceptional stories but also understand how to get their story from script to screen. You will experience a deeper connection to the creative part of you as this fast paced diversified program immerses you in character development, story structure, directing and acting, producing comedy improvisational writing. At the end of 3 intense weeks, you will emerge with a practical understanding of screenwriting, filmmaking, what is necessary to get your story from script to screen and a network of professionals at your fingertips.
SIFF Film Center
305 Harrison Street, Seattle WA
July 15, 2017 Orientation 12:00 – 3:00 pm
July 16 – August 5
Monday – Friday 9:15 am – 7:30 pm
Saturday 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tuition assistance is available for those that demonstrate need.
To register please email: Diana@thefilmschool.com . Include your full name, phone number and a small writing sample of 1-3 pages. The writing sample can be a script, short story, article, poem etc. It should highlight your unique voice or vision. You will be contacted within 3 business days of your submission.
- Directing: Tom Skerritt, Emmy Award Winning Actor, Director .In this module, students will write a 3 page scene. Each script will be “put on its feet” with fellow class members directing and acting. This will give you a sense of how your writing translates to the actors, director and ultimately the audience.
- Story Structure: Brian McDonald, Author & Story Consultant Disney & Pixar. In this module, students will learn the foundational and advanced elements of story structure which are essential in building a professional screenplay.
- Script Development: Emily Zulauf, Pixar Development & Script Supervisor "Inside Out". In this module, students will take a pragmatic look at their scripts from a development executive’s perspective and learn the skills to make their screenplays powerful and commercially viable.
- Character Development: Warren Etheredge, Co-Founder TFS. In this module, students will learn how to create complex, memorable and engaging characters by diving deeply into their internal conflict and finding what is redeemable about them.
- Storytellers Summit – The Simplest Way to Tell a Meaningful Story: Chris Oatley Past Character Designer and Visual Development Artist at DisneyToon Studios. n this module you will learn how to demystify theme, how to effectively phrase your theme, how to brainstorm your story with a theme mind map and develop sequences and scenes.
- Production: Storyboarding, Shot List Composition & Production Design Joseph Assi, Cinematographer. In this module, students will learn practical hands on filmmaking techniques. Students will be guided through storyboarding creating shot lists and work in production teams to write, shoot, edit and score a 3 page script using IPhones.
- Producing: Stacey Adams, Past Current CBS Executive & Diana Dotter, Producer and Executive Director TheFilmSchool Seattle. In this module, students will learn the steps of putting together a project and stewarding it from script to screen. Students will work in teams to craft a pitch and mock pitch sessions will be held to refine students pitching technique and skills.
- Improvisation Comedy Writing: Stan Wells, Improv Coach to A list actors & Founder of Empty Stage Theater, Los Angeles. In this module, students will learn how to look at their writing through the lens of comedy.
INSTRUCTORS MAY VARY BASED UPON AVAILIBILITY