Why Science Experiments?
The best way for children to learn is by doing things, not by being told about them. When children are young, they are not only learning things, they are learning how to learn.
Regardless of the environment or culture they live in, each child do science of some sort. Children have an inbuilt drive for discovery. We are all born with an intrinsic curiosity to observe, explore things and learn from our surrounding environment. All infants and toddlers test the environment to see what happens when, for example, they drop a toy out of their highchair or touch every single item they perceive. This drive for discovery continues to develop as they grow and become more adventurous in the things that they try out.
Benefits of Science Experiments at S-miles Center:
Maria Montessori believed that all children behave like "little scientists" in that they are eager to observe and make "what if" discoveries about their world.
Experiments encourage our little scientists to be curious, creative and confident by observing and exploring things relevant in their lives.
- Science projects and experiments elicit a child's resourcefulness. It also nurtures intellectual curiosity, helping children acquire new ways of asking questions and understanding the world around them.
- Mathematical Skills: Various computational skills, geometric and algebraic concepts are used in science. For example measuring instruments are needed to record data using different metric units. Formulas are computed to find out answers.
- S-miles' young scientists are encouraged to build and use their knowledge. Using a logical approach to solve a problem or explain an observation is modeled by the adult, and then students are guided and given ample opportunities to apply what they have learned through a new way of thinking.
- When preparing for a science project, children at S-miles are particularly guided to foster their goal-setting, planning, and problem-solving skills.
- Scientific process: Participants in our science experiment class are exposed to different scientific theories. When ready they are guided to formulate a hypothesis to explain observations they have made. This leads to making predictions that can be tested by further observations and experiments. If predictions are correct, the hypothesis is supported. While children test and explore, they begin to realize that some experiments will work while others do not. This is critical to the learning process. Trial and error is important when experimenting.
- Pre-vocational goals: In S-miles, one of the primary goals in Science experiments sessions is to help children discover new interests that often lead to fascinating hobbies or educational pursuits.
- Desirable behavior: Research has shown that engaging children in science experiment or project decreases disruptive behavior as children are busy and focused on exploring new things. Keeping children engaged in an activity of an interest helps them focus on the task and eliminate gradually undesirable behaviors.
- Social Skills and cooperative learning: Children need to engage in different conversations and discussions as they are working together on an experiment. S-miles specialists guide those conversations to foster cooperative behaviors and team work skills. Children are encouraged to talk and listen to each other about their predictions and observations, as well as their plan to answer questions popping in their heads.
- Children love to experiment independently. This is why hands-on science activities are essential for children to develop their individual skills taking into account their capacities and individual needs.
Children are born with marvelous imaginations and a keen desire to explore the world. We encourage this in our children and we help them to discover the beauty and wonder of everything around them.
In S-miles center, professionals' objective is to enhance the development of the child's brain and curiosity by ultimately exploring the world that they live in. Professionals at Smiles center assist children through the process by guiding them and modeling analysis steps and logical reasoning. Finally, children are especially encouraged to reflect on the outcome of their work.
Kindly note that additional classes might be open in different week days depending on request.
For more info please don't hesitate to contact us on +961 71 74 74 54
Please follow us on:
Special Miles Team