Actions and Detail Panel
School Gardens 101 - 4th Annual Workshop
Tue, June 27, 2017, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EDT
School Gardens 101
A Workshop for Teachers and Participants in School Gardens
School gardens provide countless ways to engage and motivate students with hands-on learning opportunities. Many gardens currently exist at both public and private schools in Sarasota, due to the efforts of dedicated teachers, parents and volunteers.
University of Florida/ IFAS Extension Sarasota County offers this training course in response to our local schools’ high level of interest in gardening. This workshop is applicable to a range of existing and envisioned garden spaces. Teachers who complete this course should feel empowered to create a successful garden in their own school. This 1-day workshop will cover resources, curriculum, planting tips, composting basics, and more!
Our guest speakers include representatives from Farm to School, Master Gardeners, Family Nutrition Program, and Center Montessori School.
Teachers will receive 8 CEU credits for attendance.
Location: Twin Lakes Park, UF/IFAS Extension Conference Room
Date: June 27, 2017
Time: 8:30 – 5:00
Cost: This program is offered at no cost! Lunch is on your own. Feel free to bring snacks.
Extension offers a host of low-cost or free training courses related to gardening! To view our class schedule or to register, please visit our website at: http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu or email email@example.com for more information.
School Gardening 101
- Introductions 8:30 - 9:00
- Program Overview (Stacy Spriggs, UF/IFAS Program Coordinator) 9:00 - 9:30
- Family Nutrition Program Curricula (Amber Ward, UF/IFAS) 9:30 - 11:30
Lunch on your own
- Growing Edibles Locally (Master Gardener Elaine Pardey) 12:30-1:30
- Regional Network (Zach Glorioso, Sarasota County Schools) 1:30 - 3:00
- Composting, Vermicomposting and Permaculture (Jayne Cobb, Center Montessori Teacher) 3:00-4:30
- Question/Answer Session, Wrap up 4:30