SCBWI-L.A. Writer's Days 2012
Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM - Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM (PDT)
San Gabriel, CA
SCBWI-Los Angeles Presents
Books and Beyond: How to Make a Living (and a Life!) as a Writer
at the Clairbourn School, 8400 Huntington Drive, San Gabriel, CA
Saturday and Sunday, April 21st and 22nd
Saturday, April 21: Registration opens at 8:00am
Stacey Barney, Editor, Putnam/Penguin (http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/publishers/yr/putnam.html/) ,
Michael Bourret, Agent, Dystel & Goderich (http://www.dystel.com/),
Lee Wardlaw, award-winning author (PB to YA) (http://www.leewardlaw.com/),
Terri Farley, author of all 24 books in the Phantom Stallion middle grade series (http://www.terrifarley.com/),
Dawne Knobbe, author and madcap Mad Hatter from the L.A. region's Down The Rabbit Hole (http://deknobbe.com/),
Sara Wilson Etienne, debut author (http://www.sarawilsonetienne.com/)
Professional forum session on contracts and taxes with
Bonnie Berry LaMon, Esq. (http://www.bonnieberry.com) and
Monica Haven, EA, JD, LLM (http://www.mhaven.net)
Annual Conference Scholarship Contest for Writers
Sue Alexander Service and Encouragement Award (SASE)
SPECIAL MEMBERS-ONLY INTENSIVES
Sunday, April 22nd: Registration opens at 9:00am
Revision with Stacey Barney, Editor (Putnam/Penguin) and
Pitching with Michael Bourret, Agent (Dystel & Goderich) (a How-To workshop),
Novel Workshop - Growing Your Writing Life: Soil, Seeds and Soul - with Terri Farley, author of all 24 books in the Phantom Stallion middle grade series,
Sparking Your Muse (for PB to YA) with Dawne Knobbe, author and madcap Mad Hatter from the L.A. region's Down The Rabbit Hole,
Enrollment is limited. Box lunch included both days. More details on http://www.scbwisocal.org/events/la_writers_days.html
To pay by check - Choose your ticket(s) and click on Show Other Payment Options under the Order Now button.
* Contest Rules:
1. You must be a currently registered member of SCBWI.
2. You must be registered for the Saturday session of SCBWI-L.A. Writer’s Days 2012. (As proof, please attach a copy of your registration ticket in your e-mail. You will receive this ticket by e-mail when you register.)
3. Submissions must state entry category.
4. Submit one unpublished manuscript in manuscript format (Fiction or Nonfiction): Picture Book (text only, no illustrations or dummies), Middle Grade (first 10 pages), Young Adult (first 10 pages), Poetry (a collection of 10 poems on a single theme).
5. Please include the following information in your submission:
a. SCBWI Current Member Name
c. Contact Numbers
e. Title of Your Piece
f. Entry Category (Chosen from these Categories: PB Fiction, MG Fiction, YA Fiction, Non-Fiction OR Poetry.)
6. Please e-mail your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title: WRITER’S DAY CONTEST 2012
7. Attach your submission as a Word Document/RTF File. If you aren’t able to, you may copy your work into the body of your e-mail.
8. All entries must be e-mailed by midnight (PST) on March 3rd, 2012.
9. An award may not be given if there are fewer than five submissions in a category or judges feel no submission is deserving.
10. Please be sure to follow these submission guidelines. Submissions not in compliance with these rules will not be considered.
11. The judges, while highly qualified, shall remain anonymous.
** Manuscript Critique:
Complete PB ms, 10 pages MG/YA, OR 10 Poems. Must be postmarked by March 16th, 2012. You must be registered for SCBWI-L.A. Writer’s Days 2012 and have paid for a critique. (As proof, please include a copy of your registration ticket. You will receive this ticket by e-mail when you register.)
Write “Critique” on manuscript cover sheet along with name, address, phone and email.
Writer's Days Critiques
P. O. Box 1728
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
The Fine Print:
Take advantage of the "Early Bird Discount" by registering before March 15, 2012
Current SCBWI Membership will be verified. If your membership is not current and you have signed up as a member, you will be given the option of renewing your membership or paying the Non-Member price.
Join SCBWI at registration and be eligible for the contests!
You may register at the door; however, only cash and checks accepted at the door.
Wait List: If a ticket sells out, you may be put on a wait list. E-mail your request to email@example.com Please include the exact ticket description, your mailing address and your phone number in your request.
Please note: no refund after March 15, 2012. $15 charge for refund before March 15, 2012. To ask for a refund, e-mail your refund request and a copy of your registration ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include your mailing address in your request.