This is the eleventh in a series of fundraising concerts organized to pay for the defunded music education program at Castelar Elementary School. Established in 1882 and sitting right in the middle of Chinatown, the inner-city public school serves mostly immigrant kids who don't get much exposure to performing arts or creative outlets. Chinatown has an unbeatable musical past (mostly punk) and rad art scene in the present (post punk). Neither subculture crosses paths often with the residents in Chinatown but we're trying to create a bridge for them to help out the local kids.
The lineup is especially steeped in the tradition of the old Hong Kong Cafe, and will include:
• Rikk Agnew Band - The cosmos-connected and much-loved key member of Adolescents, Social Distortion, Christian Death, Social Distortion, and D.I. plays all the faves as well as cuts from his band's ripping new album.
• Ford Madox Ford - Maximum blues featuring Chip Kinman from original Dangerhouse punks and Hong Kong Cafe regulars The Dils, as well as sonic boundary pushers Rank & File and Blackbird.
• Rough Kids - Tough but melodic garage punk perfectly balancing riffs, rage, and fun.
Special guest DJ to be announced.
That's a lot of great music for 12 lousy bucks (and maybe some raffle tickets).
In addition to donating for admission, guests will be able to donate money toward raffle tickets for a chance to score prizes. $1 = 1 ticket. So far, and it's still early, prizes include the following:
• Goodies from Frontier Records
• Gift certificates from Scoops Chinatown
• Gift certificates from Pho 87
• Gift certificate from Donut Friend
• Hand-finished metal art by Mike Magrann of CH3.
• Save Music in Chinatown: The First Two Years zine and bootleg CD
• Print by Krk Dominguez
• Minutemen/Saccharine Trust split 7" signed by Mike Watt and Jack Brewer
Check this site regularly for additions as the show draws nearer, and contact us if you'd like to donate something cool to the cause!
Sorta, maybe... Not set in stone but so you can plan your day.
2:00 - Doors
2:30 - 3:15 - Rough Kids
3:30 - 4:15 - Ford Madox Ford
4:30 - 5:30 - Rikk Agnew Band
There is free metered parking on the streets (try going north on Broadway) and pretty cheap parking on College.
All ticket proceeds minus Eventbrite surcharges will be donated directly to FACES (Friends and Alumni of Castelar Elementary School, a registered nonprofit organization) to be applied specifically to the music education program.