San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Urban Innovation Exchange Arts and Innovation District Tour is a three hour monthly program that includes a guided walking tour of San Francisco’s “Central Market Arts and Innovation District,”, followed by a facilitated discussion to explore how these kinds of urban innovation ecosystems may manifest in other domestic and international locations.
10:00AM - 12:00PM;
Walking Tour highlights:
- San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (PUC) - This will be the first stop and 10:00AM meeting location for the tour (525 Golden Gate Avenue).
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations in front of the San Francisco City Hall
- United Nations Plaza Federal Building
- FREESPACE - PopUp Innovation and Art Events Community
- Co-Working and Startup spaces
- Central Market Revitalization District
- HUB Bay Area, in the 5M Innovation Complex
- Yerba Buena Gardens Cultural District
- SPUR (Time Allowing) San Francisco Planning + Urban Research Association
- Food Truck and outdoor music event at the 5M Project complex
12:00PM - 1:00PM:
The Innovation ecosystem analysis discussion at the HUB Bay Area (at the 5M complex, in the South of Market District of San Francisco) will begin with an overview of topics and issues related to the creation and function of Innovation Ecosystems, sighting the specific examples that were presented and discussed as a part of the walking tour.
Topics for facilitated group discussion:
- Analysis / Synthesis of lessons learned from lectures and tour
- HUB model as an anchor and facilitation space for incubating innovative businesses, as well as hosting related events for the arts and startup community
- Brain storming session for issues and elements of Innovation Ecosystems (including obstacles).
- Group discussion about how specific aspects of innovation ecosystems can be adapted to other communities, cultures, and levels of economic development.
At 1pm, participants are invited to join the UIX staff for a visit/experience of the food truck phenomena and live jazz show within the 5M Project complex following the facilitated discussion.
When & Where
UIX Global is an economic development consulting agency that specializes in Program-Based Planning (PBP) to co-create innovation ecosystems rooted in sustainability and local culture, with an experiential approach. UIX Global's local community engagement models are values-based, activities oriented, and culture driven, recognizing that creativity, cooperation, and civic engagement are the cornerstones of economic vitality. We are informed by Silicon Valley corporate innovation models and the emergent processes for innovation ecosystem development in San Francisco, which is pioneering integrated multi-sector, participatory, economic development engagements.