San Antonio STEM CORPS meeting for Educators
Saturday, March 1, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM (CST)
San Antonio, TX
Recognizing the numerous areas of growth in STEM-related activities and interest in San Antonio, SASTEMIC has created the STEM CORPS group. Through this group, SASTEMIC will be the “go to place” for all things STEM related in the San Antonio area. Members will receive up to date information regarding STEM activities in San Antonio. This includes access to our website, community calendar, and our weekly radio show along with staff development opportunities.
The first STEM CORPS event will be held at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. The event will be from 9-Noon and will include a lunch. THERE IS NO COST TO ATTEND THIS EVENT. Our desire is to involve all school districts in the San Antonio and surrounding areas.
Membership in the STEM CORPS is free to all members. The benefits offered them will include:
- SASTEMIC monthly newsletter (electronic)
- Access to the SASTEMIC calendar
- Attendance at the SASTEMIC annual conference where each member will receive 8 hours of staff development opportunities
- Clearinghouse of resources (lesson plans, program development)
- Prospect of creating MOU’s with trained STEM-specific-staff in the areas of coaching, trainings, and guidance
- Network of colleagues in STEM fields
- Connections to industry mentors and volunteers
The creation of the STEM CORPS will lead to greater awareness of STEM-related initiatives in our community. Members will be introduced to the powerful role STEM education can make on young lives K-12. It will also allow the members to explore STEM related pedagogies and teaching practices such as project-based learning lessons, integration of contents, internships, externships, and best teaching practices while developing 21st century skills in their students.
When & Where
SASTEMIC is a San Antonio based 501c3 non-profit focused on increasing access to high quality STEM education for San Antonio youth and connecting education to industry and beyond.
More Information about SASTEMIC can be found here: http://sastemic.org/