Actions and Detail Panel
Safe Swim Program - May 15 - May 25, 2017, 7:30 PM, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wedn...
Mon, May 15, 2017, 7:30 PM – Thu, May 25, 2017, 8:00 PM CDT
The Fort Worth Drowning Prevention Coalition's mission is to prevent drowning deaths in Fort Worth.
- Texas leads the nation in pool drowning deaths
- Tarrant County ranks high in the state for total and per capita pediatric drowning deaths
- 60% of children who drown in Fort Worth are <4 y.o., Anglo who drown in backyard pools
- Drowning ranks fifth among adults and second among children as the leading cause of accidental death in the United States
- 70% of African American children, 60% of Latino children and 40% of Caucasian children have low or no swimming ability
This program is a water safety and drowning prevention class for ages 3 to 103 y.o. If you already know how to swim we'd love for you to participate in our on-deck water safety classes or recruit you as a volunteer to help save lives but please do not register for the in-water portion of our water safety program. We need to keep these spots open for nonswimming community members. Thank you!
Upon completion of all 8 lessons each participant will receive a US Coast Guard approved life jacket and a certificate of completion.
Where: Downtown YMCA, 512 Lamar Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76102
When: May 15 - May 25, 2017 (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday)
Time: 7:30 to 8:00 PM
Attendance at all lessons is required. A child may not participate without an adult caregiver in attendance.
- Water Comfort - face & head in the water
- Floating - demonstrated ability to float
- Tread Water - demonstrated ability to tread water
- Safely travel 10 yards in water
- State 3 of 5 rules of water safety
These drowning prevention sessions are for those who wish to learn life saving skills. Parents or siblings that can swim do not need to register or pay for attendance. Parents will be invited to participate in on-deck water safety education classes at the same time as students are in the water. Life guards, instructors and swim buddies will provide a safe and fun experience for each student in the water.
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
We invite any non-swimmer ages 3 to 103 y.o. to participate
What can/can't I bring to the event?
Bring a swimsuit, towel and sunscreen for each participant.