San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
UPDATE: Pre-registration for the Safe Coast conference is now closed, but walk-ins are welcome! Day-of registration at the door is $20 regular admission ($10 for students) and includes coffee, lunch and parking.
If you pre-registered already, check-in begins at 9:30am on Saturday, and there is no need to bring a paper ticket.
Climate change is at our doorstep. It’s making seas rise. It’s making storms stronger. And it will only get worse if we don’t act now.
On Saturday, November 16th (9:30am - 4:30pm), hundreds of Virginians will come together to map out our road toward a safe coast and stable climate.
Learn from experts. Get inspired by national and regional movement leaders. Hear stories from people on the front lines of climate change impacts. Join together with fellow Virginians to map out concrete ways to protect our homes and our coast.
Limited scholarships are available: email Keith Thirion at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9:30am: Registration and Check-in
10am-12pm: Morning Session
--Welcome and Opening by Mike Tidwell, Executive Director of the Chesapeake Climate Action Network
--Special Video Address by Bill McKibben, author, educator, environmentalist, and co-founder of 350.org.
--Keynote by Lois Gibbs, the heroine of Love Canal and founder and director of the Center for Health, Environment and Justice.
--Premiere of the new documentary, Sea of Change, featuring local residents and experts.
--Plenary Panel: Climate Ground Zero: Climate impacts in Hampton Roads.
- Speakers include Hans-Peter Plag of Old Dominion University; Skip Stiles, the Executive Director of Wetlands Watch; and Joe Bouchard, former Commander of Naval Station Norfolk and former Virginia State Delegate.
12:10pm-12:45pm: Lunch and Networking
1:00-4:30: Afternoon Session
--Plenary Panel: Climate Ground Zero: Climate solutions in Hampton Roads.
- Speakers include Ben McFarlane, Regional Planner with the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission; Mike Tidwell, Executive Director of CCAN; and Richard Good, President of Solar Services.
--Breakout Sessions: You'll have your choice of attending two of the following three sessions:
- Breakout A: Climate Change At Our Doorsteps: Mobilizing your neighborhood to fight back. Speakers include CCAN's Virginia Field Director, Keith Thirion; Brian Brennan, Principal of the General Studies Program at Yeshivas Aish Kodesh; and Tram Nguyen, associate director of Virginia New Majority.
- Breakout B: Connecting the Dots: Spreading the full climate change story through media and public education. Speakers include Emily Southard, Campaign Manager at Forecast the Facts; CCAN's Communications Director Kelly Trout; and Emilee Pierce, Program Director at Media Matters.
- Breakout C: Building Virginia's Climate Caucus: Using our power to develop the political leaders we need. Speakers include CCAN's Virginia Policy Coordinator, Dawone Robinson, Dr. Joe Bouchard, former Navy captain and state delegate, and Claire Douglass, Climate and Energy Campaign Director at Oceana.
--Closing keynote by Rev. Lennox Yearwood, minister, community activist and President of the Hip Hop Caucus.