San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This is an event mainly for people who couldn't get a registration slot for RubyDCamp, and anybody else with an interest in Ruby. If you're totally new to Ruby, that's fine, but you should at least have some programming background in general. Please join our Google group at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rubydaycamp.
Some of this may change, but the thinking so far is:
- Timing: 9 am to 5 PM, Saturday and Sunday. I'd much prefer you come to the whole thing. If you can only attend part, please tell me what you'll be there for, so we can figure out venue capacity.
- Agenda: Saturday morning, code retreat. Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday, unconference, with at least two tracks (one being for newbies), plus a "just hang out, socialize, or work on side projects" area. (If you don't know what an unconference is, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference.) We may have lightning talks in there somewhere, and maybe a plenary session at the start and/or end if there's anything really important someone wants to discuss.
- Venue: Shelter #2 at Pohick Bay Park. (Sorry, it's not metro-able.) This is for sure; I have ponied up for a reservation for both days.
- Meals and Lodging: NOT PROVIDED, unless we get some serious donations and/or sponsorships. We MIGHT wind up getting some bagels and coffee for breakfast, but don't count on it. Lunch will probably be BYO, or maybe potluck. Dinner is not in the plan (though if y'all wanna hang out later, maybe we could do potluck or something), and don't even think about lodgings. AFAIK, there are no restaurants within easy walking.
- Price: Donation. (I suggest $20 a head, including EventBrite's fees; I need about 15 to 20 people, just to break even.) You can pay less if you have to, and I certainly won't object if you pay more!
When & Where
Dave is the poor sucker who got stuck organizing this shindig, after he whinged about getting waitlisted for RubyDCamp. He is a freelance software developer, mainly doing Rails these days, via his own company, Codosaurus, LLC (http://www.codosaur.us).