Rotunda Round Up with Common Cause Rhode Island
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 from 2:50 PM to 5:30 PM (EDT)
Please note that this enhancement is reserved for current Leadership Rhode Island class members and dues-current alumni. If you are unsure if your dues are current, please contact Jillian Stone at 401-273-1574, x104 or at email@example.com.
John Marion (LRI '11) Executive Director at Common Cause Rhode Island has invited Leadership Rhode Island to an exclusive "behind the scenes" look at government in Rhode Island called "Rotunda Roundups." These interactive sessions serve to introduce RI citizens, advocacy organizations, and community groups to the ins and outs of lobbying and how to navigate the complexities of Smith Hill.
1. A behind-the-scenes look at the State House
2. Gathering engaged Rhode Islanders at the State House for citizen lobbyist boot camp to learn firsthand about representative democracy, open government, and effective advocacy
These "Rotunda Roundups" aim to:
- Inform citizens about concrete policy issues in RI
- Build the capacity of citizen lobbyists
- Demonstrate the accessibility of civic participation
- Equip Rhode Islanders with the skills, tools, and resources needed to effectively advocate for legislative change
- Create opportunities for learning and dialogue around Common Cause’s core mission of open and accountable government processes
2:50pm - Participants will meet at the State House under the Rotunda at 2:50pm.
3:00pm - 4:00pm - The group will proceed to the Public Information Office of the Secretary of State's office in Room 38 to hear an explanation of what goes on "behind the scenes" at the State House, meet state legislators, and prepare for what they will observe on the House floor.
4:00pm - 4:30pm - Participants will observe the House floor before the rise and breaking into committees
4:30pm - 5:30pm - Participants will observe the General Assembly in action in committees