San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Come one, come all to an old-time square dance weekend with bust-down bands, cream-of-the-crop callers, workshops on dance calling & percussive dance, crowd-pleasing clogging routines, late night jams, Cajun dance party, and a bounty of good food and friends to fuel your steps!
Let's come together and ignite greater interest in continuing old-time square dance traditions in the Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh area. Dancers, callers, and musicians from other areas nearby should also come if you are interested in getting down and learning more about how to start a dance in your area. Bring your love for old-time squares to the party. If you are coming from outside, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about lodging in the area.
Nightly dances and Saturday workshops at the Pleasant Green Community Center (a long time home for NC Squares dances). All are welcome. No experience required.
Schedule of Events
Friday (Jan. 13)
- 7:30 PM - 10:15 PM. Old Time Square Dance with Joseph Decosimo and Friends. Caller Pete Laberge*
- 10:30 PM - 12:00 AM. Cajun Dance Party with the MSA Ramblers (Matt Haney, Sarah Ploense, Allin Cottrell, Amy Davis)*
Saturday (Jan. 14)
- 9:30 AM. Breakfast.
- 10:00 AM - 11:15 AM. Calling Workshops Session 1 (with Nancy Mamlin & Aaron Ratcliffe)*
- 11:30 AM - 12:45 PM. Dance with Special Guest Master Caller*
- 12:45 PM - 2:00 PM. Lunch
- 2:00 PM - 3:15 PM. Calling Workshops Session 2 (with Nancy Mamlin & Aaron Ratcliffe)*
- 3:30 PM - 4:45 PM. Panel on organizing community dances and sound engineering workshop.
- 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM. Family Dance with The Happy Valley Pals (caller Connie Carringer)*
- 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM. Potluck.
- 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM. Clogging Exhibition.
- 8:00 PM - 10:30 PM. Square Dance with Shay Garriock and Friends. Open Mic Caller Night*
- 11:00 PM -- until. Rowdy Square Dance with the Five Points Rounders*
Sundy (Jan. 15)
- 12:30 PM - 3:00 PM. Potluck lunch and jam. Time for local organizers meeting for volunteers, musicians, callers, dancers to discuss what's next for NC Squares.
*Events require paid entry. Please see ticket options. Advance registration discount on weekend passes is available until 1/8/17.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
No minimum age requirements. There are events targeted for children and families on Saturday evening. We do not plan to have child care on site at this time, but contact us if that is something you are interested in and if we have enough requests we may make necessary arrangements.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Pleasant Green Community Center is off Pleasant Green Rd. between Durham and Hillsborough near to Pleasant Green United Methodist Church. The options for public transportation to Pleasant Green are limited, but parking is ample. Carpooling is encouraged.
What can I bring into the event?
Comfortable dance shoes and clothes. Water bottle. Extra snacks. Notebook and pen if you plan on taking the workshops. Instrument if you plan on jamming. Consider bringing something to contribute to the potluck dinner on Saturday.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
What's the refund policy?
Tickets are transferrable, but non-refundable. If your plans change and you are not able to make it, consider it as a friendly donation to a support old time community square dancing in Chapel Hill - Durham.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No. Save paper. An email confirmation on a device would be great, but we'll be ready with a registration list when you arrive.
Can I update my registration information?
Is my registration fee or ticket transferable?
Yes. You may transfer your registration to anyone up until 8 PM on 1/13/17.
Save This Event
When & Where